Capacity of various Duracell AA cells?

Similar to cells once used for doorbells, etc, with a life measured in tens of years?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They are, or were, used in a lot of headtorches and are often available from camping shops. Saw Duracell ones in B&Q the other day.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I had one of those for a model airplane. Everready, IIRC. Binding posts on the top.

I don't recall the name. Any idea why they were called "flag" batteries?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Henh, good one! 8*) It looks kinda like a BC cell, but it's hard to tell...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Ever tried carrying a few? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris Bacon wrote in news:446b2554$ snipped-for-privacy@newsgate.x-privat.org:

That's about the size of it. :) The 'flags' were little disks behind glass windows in rosewood or mahogany boxes, used in large houses with servants, if a bell was rung in a room, the staff could tell who rang it by looking at the flag box. The bell would be mounted above, or beside the box, and the flag battery (Usually a few in series) would be in the box or on a shelf on the wall nearby.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

The message from Lostgallifreyan contains these words:

Not even that large. I had friends in a three bed semi that had one!

Reply to
Guy King

Pah. I've got the remains of a mechanical bell system here. Dunno why - you could have whistled for the maid...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bacon saying something like:

Ever Ready 6V lanterns come with a rechargeable battery holder that takes 4 D cells. It's quite handy, given the price of lantern batteries. Now I've got a selection of rechargeable gel-cell lead acid lanterns I don't need it so much.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Spehro Pefhany saying something like:

A memory faintly stirs of something I read yonks ago. I think it might be something to do with an old signalling system of the late Victorian/Edwardian period - maybe railway related. The cells were used in banks contained in wooden cases.

I distinctly recall such cells being used in an intercom system in my primary school - it never worked, to the best of my knowledge.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And Barstow has plenty of switching tracks going on. Actually Barstow is not at the edge of the desert, but it sure is high, and many get high, but its not nearly as high as El Paso.

greg Former Barstow resident

Reply to
GregS

Alas, it's too late to correct the original author, whose ashes were shot from a cannon not too long ago.

Roy Lewallen

Reply to
Roy Lewallen