Changing the RF output channel on Pana 3/4=in VCR?

This Panasonic NV-2110 3/4-inch VCR outputs RF on CH 5 or CH 6 (switch-selectable). There is no other choice of output channel. (This is an (*old* VCR, circa 1973, much discrete circuitry.)

Is the determination of frequency as simple as changing the xtals for these channels? (RF mod circuit uses two xtals for these channels.)

If I want change the circuit such that video is output to RF CH 3 or 4, is this a straightforward xtal swap? Recal required afterward?

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Hi Dave,

It is unlikely going to be that easy. Usually there are also some resonant circuits, or at least one, and these frequencies are pretty far apart.

Here is what we did: I bought a modulator at Radio Shack for about $40. It's output frequency can be programmed digitally via push button to any channel in the UHF range. Then video and audio is fed from the VCR into that modulator. Its RF signal is fed into the house distribution and now we can watch videos at any TV in the house.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Not what you want exactly but, take the RF output and put it into another VCR. Select Channel 5 on that VCR's tuner. It will now take your old units Channel 5 and put it out on Channel 3 or 4 (switch selectable). Or use the newer VCR's A/V inputs if the old unit has A/V outputs. You probably have a VCR or two lying around, so it won't cost you much.

Reply to
Kevin Carney

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:54:56 -0700, Joerg wrote (in article ):

Hi, Joerg, Yours is probably the most practical solution. We have several of these machines (for back-up). When the current one dies, we'll probably not repair it. My solution would require modifying each machine for CH 3/4, a pain.

Thanks for your ideas.

Reply to
DaveC

Hi Dave,

If you go for that just make sure the channel setting is not lost during a power outage. The Radio Shack version we have does keep the channel memorized. You can also select cable frequency mode or terrestrial (normal) TV channels. But not VHF, it is only UHF.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

After reading all the posts so far, the question not asked is 'why use the RF output at all?'

jak

Kev> Not what you want exactly but, take the RF output and put it into

Reply to
jakdedert

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:41:50 -0700, jakdedert wrote (in article ):

TV, not monitor. Input connector is only RF not baseband.

Reply to
DaveC

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:07:39 -0700, Joerg wrote (in article ):

Joerg, The RS model 15-1214 has switch that you choose CH 3 or 4. Nothing to forget:

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Hi Dave,

If you can live with Ch3/4 that would be even cheaper. But we couldn't because we wanted to distribute into the house coax network and there is a strong station on Ch3, and a weaker one on Ch2. Other than that our box looks similar, except for a couple 7-segment displays and progamming buttons.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Reply to
Lenny

That is damn ingenious! You see VCR's lying around for garbage pickup, so you could get one for nothing.

Reply to
ehsjr

Is this a joke?You have a working 30-years old VCR?And you want to keep it?Give it to seomeone poor.A brand-new stereo philips VCR cost only 95 euro.

-- Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Iraklion Crete,Greece Analogue technology rules-digital sucks

AT otenet DOT gr the return adress is corrupted Warning:all offending emails will be deleted, and the offender/spammer will be put on my personal "black list". ? "DaveC" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

How do you know the OP isn't poor?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 05:22:11 -0700, Tim Auton wrote (in article ):

This is a 3/4-inch VCR, no longer available new. Used ones are available on e-bay for about $100, but they all will have the same issues with display interface.

The organization is a non-profit, always a bit low on funds.

(Your question shows an enlightened view of the economic world.)

Reply to
DaveC

Dave, Many people never saw 3/4" Umatic Video Players / Recorders. I worked on a lot of Sony, some Panasonic & JVC and a few NEC. Sony was the best and they probably still have parts available.

Reply to
Kevin Carney

Yes, you can search all US museums for that xtal.