Cheap thermometer calibration technique?

ratman wrote:

Melting ice and condensing steam. For both you are going to need a small copper or aluminium block painted matte black for the IR temp gun to read and a hole drilled in the block thats a close fit for the thermocouple with a little dab of heat transfer grease. Implementation is your problem, although it can be advantageous to insulate the sides of the block with expanded polystyrene.

Water and ice have thermal IR emissivity of around 98%, about as black as things get. So mix crushed ice into cold water in a glass or cup, preferably a thermos, stir, and aim your IR thermometer straignt down into that. Or swish a thermocouple around in it. Even yukky tap water, well stirred with ice, will be within 15 mK of 0C.
The high end, boiling, is a little trickier.
John
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:02:54 -0600, the renowned ratman

Simply apply a millivoltage equivalent to the thermocouple thermometer and see if it reads right (use a known-good DMM with a 200mV range). You'll need to know the ambient temperature accurately. When you short the input it should read the temperature at the jack. When you apply the mV (calculate from desired reading and ambient, given the type-- usually "K" = Chromel-Alumel) it should read that temperature.
The thermocouple itself will either work well enough or not at all, barring the most extreme circumstances.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
An IR thermometer will not be very accurate on lower as body temps due to the radiation measured.
An IR is good for above 50 F or 25 C Calibration is best done close to the temps really measured. And yes boiling and freezing water is very accurate and the method with the black body is best.

I noticed that my typical Fluke IR thermometer only works at room temperature. I took it outside last winter, and after the unit starts to cool, forget it.
greg

snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) writes:

Was it inaccurate only while cooling down, or did it remain inaccurate once fully cooled to outside temperature? The sensor's own temperature matters, and there should be a thermistor or something to measure the sensor temperature and compensate for it, but this can be screwed up if temperature is changing rapidly.
    Dave
Have I got really rubbish thermometers? I've tried measuring body temperature both in my mouth and under my arm, and it's never more than about 30C.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

I never thought that I would ever get to say this to anyone and really mean it.
STICK IT UP YER ASS! :-] Hehehehe!

And if next time I forgot I'd done that, and stuck it in my mouth?
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:15:22 +0000, Peter Hucker wrote:

Have you ever heard the term, "wash"? And a healthy ass shouldn't have anything harmful in it - it's inside your own body, right?
--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus

But some parts of the body aren't supposed to come into contact with other parts.
Try feeding the exhaust pipe into the air intake in your car and see if you can drive it a fair distance.
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Bannana in the tailpipe fails as well...
Bwuahahahaha!

Not as much backpressure as a spud.
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

That should have said "Try to feed the exhaust pipe into the passenger compartment, and see if you can drive it a fair distance."
Hehehehehhee! Reminds me of Slaughterhouse Five...

Am I allowed to use scuba gear?
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:21:06 +0000, Peter Hucker wrote:

... Well, it is true that you can't touch your ear with your elbow; are you talking about the "naughty bits"? That's just the body shame that got programmed into you by strict religious parents.

This makes no sense whatsoever.
Cheers! Rich
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:17:42 -0000, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian

My parents aren't religious, luckily. Or I'd have been thrown out of home for making fun probably.
Are you seriously suggesting that excrement is safe to eat?

Those two lines together made me laugh. It reminded me of a drunk person.
My point was the exhaust is not compatible with the air intake. It would choke. Same as if you inhaled farts.
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

WHY?!?
You mean the shit magically doesn't stick to the sides?

I'd want to bloody sterilise it!

See - made him pass out!
--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

I don't know about rabbits (maybe something to do with digesting cellulose in grass, which is notoriously difficult to do). Cows do something similar, but it's done internally (i.e. chewing the cud).
Many animals have to eat their parents' excrement -- that's how they get the right bacteria into their gut to breakdown the type of food found in that locality. Elephants are probably the best known example of this, and adults will also repeat this if they are moved to a different location where the diet changes.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I think you could survive your own fecal remnant attack. Sheesh. Wash it off already!