connecting batteries in parallel or series, myth and theory

There's ANOTHER place?

mike

Densa International=C2=A9 'Think tanks cleaned cheap'

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail, Google Groups or HOTMAIL address. I also filter everything from a .cn server.

m II

That has little to do with telco terminology.

Not bad so far, but...

That simply is not true. In fact, "signal diodes" are often used as rectifiers.

Backwards. Any diode is by definition a rectifier. Not all rectifiers are necessarily diodes, though they clearly must emulate a diode to cause "rectification".

Note true at all, and not all rectification is "power conversion".

Dead on.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Except that *is* exactly how it is defined.

If all diodes rectify, they are all rectifiers.

Why don't you look it up instead of using your imagination?

"From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

diode n 1: a thermionic tube having two electrodes; used as a rectifier [syn: rectifying tube, rectifying valve]"

There is your original derivation. The device is *only* a diode if it is used as a rectifier. Wordnet continued:

" 2: a semiconductor that consists of a p-n junction [syn: semiconductor diode, junction rectifier, crystal rectifier]"

Another: "From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03) [foldoc]:

diode

A semiconductor device which conducts electric current run in one direction only. This is the simplest kind of semiconductor device, it has two terminals and a single PN junction. One diode can be used as a half-wave rectifier or four as a full-wave rectifier."

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Other way around. A diode device is by definition a rectifier, but not all rectifiers are diodes.

Good to see that you woke up and are now contradiction yourself, Mike.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

We appear to be in agreement, only not so.

All things that convert AC into DC are defined as rectifiers.

All electronic devices with two electrodes are defined as diodes.

Some diodes convert AC into DC and are thus rectifiers.

Some diodes (eg DIACs) do not convert AC into DC and are thus not rectifiers.

Some rectifiers have more than two terminals (eg A three phase mercury arc rectifier) and are thus not diodes.

As I wrote, "in general rectifiers are diodes". That quite clearly does not claim that all rectifiers are diodes. They aren't.

Nor are all diodes rectifiers.

I really don't see the problem. You first count the electrodes - if there aren't two, it cannot be a diode. If there are two, it can be a rectifier (diode). But it may not be.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

A DIAC, despite the name, is not a "diode", it is a five-layer device that acts like a diode.

Triode tubes also can be made to act like a diode, but that doesn't make them diodes.

The number of leads is not indicative. Note that a common SPST switch has two leads, and nobody calls that a diode, even then it can act as one.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

It has two electrodes - it is a diode.

It has three electrodes - it is not a diode.

It has no electrodes - it is not a diode.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

So does Floyd's switch but it is not a diode. A (semiconductor) diode is a PN device. A DIAC is not a PN device.

True (and stated), however it *can* be a rectifier, which was the point.

Ok, would you prefer a neon bulb as an example?

Reply to
krw

You have no experience. Nuff said

Reply to
bealiba

It has 5.

Same as above?

You are counting leads as electrodes with the DIAC.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

DIAC = DiIode for Alternating Current

The manufacturer calls it a diode:

Nah, I am counting connection points to the device. They may, or may not have leads at the connection point - many rectifiers (and many other diodes :) ) do not.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

So, a resistor is a diode? A capicator?

Reply to
krw

It still is NOT a diode in the sense that you are defining a diode.

You aren't making sense.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Rather like ears, what is between the two of them is rather important too. :)

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

Your lack of understanding is your problem, not mine.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

Hmmm... reminds me of a story I heard about 40 years ago on a troposcatter site here in Alaska. Seems this new stupidvisor (a former "technician") picks up a box of rivets that are silvery colored, with a round head that had no slot and of course no threads but otherwise looked pretty much like a #12 round head scew about 1/4 inch long.

This Stupidvisor asks a mechanic "What are these?"

The mechanic says, "Bi-Directional Diodes!"

The Stupidvisor says, "Oh. Okay." and walks off...

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Ok, I gotta ask... What is *your* definition of "electrode"?

Reply to
krw

You still are not making sense, and that isn't *my* problem.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

So counting connections isn't a way to define a diode.

And a 5-layer device with two leads isn't a diode, even if it acts like one in some ways and even if they name it with a phrase that includes the word diode.

Yer lerning.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Let's see if we can agree on something. How about, "A diode is not a rectifier, by definition"? and "All diodes are not rectifiers"? Which was the whole point of this little diversion.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome