engineering graduate school question

I would suggest you get a foot in the door experience-wise and get into the workforce now, if you are able - and pursue the MSEE part- time. Note that this also starts the clock on work experience for the PE qualification, if you want to become one of the two or three licensed PEs in your state.
One really good reason for doing it this way: many (most?) corporations will pay for some or all of the tuition costs. If you stay in school, you'll be further behind in terms of useful (on the job) experience and deeper in debt. Free money is good; one of the main things that pushed me to the job I'm in right now is that I can soak up $20k of tuition for free (or more; it's limited only by the number of credits I can take while keeping an A average).
Even if you graduate with an MSEE you will, by and large, still only be eligible for entry-level positions because of your inexperience.

Without any solid reason i want to say to grab some commercial opportunity and consider your further education as a part time thing, perhaps life is itself a learning process. Yes, having a Master degree does help to get certain jobs but some advertisers do prompt for age factor as well. Like, Should be having master with below age 26 to or so;)
Getting BSEE over 30 years does exhibit your passion for particular profession. So, why not giving a chance to some commercial world? worth a shot , BTW you can get to school at anytime for your Master.
ali
Ali wrote:

Each to their own, it took me 14 years to complete my BSEE, I was working full time as an engineer throughout same time. In the end it opened (bureaucratic) doors for me. The MSEE may or may not have the same magic.
--
JosephKK

No. Enroll in Law School.

Yeah. just what the world needs: more lawyers!? I'd rather be a broke, unemployed engineer than a rich lawyer anyday, thanks. -Clark
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:17:51 -0400, the renowned "cpope"

See, that's the sort of thinking that depresses engineering pay. I don't think there are many who would choose to be a broke, unemployed lawyer.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Scooter Libby??
...sorry, could not resist. :) -mpm
On 6/19/07 12:17 PM, in article 46782c74$0$16580$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com,

Many smart people who are interested in making money do go to law school because it is a better road to wealth than engineering or science is.
Bill
--
Iraq: About three Virginia Techs a month

I think I see your problem.

what abt pharmacy school also?

I worked with two engineers whe were pursuing their masters in night school, one in EE, the other CS (and I won't bother to mention the MBA candidates). The work they did for their thesis work was less challendging than the projects we were running at work, and they took too long at it, also.
I avoided the graduate school discipline by taking extension courses that seemed appropriate to my work (C Programming, Neural Networks, Kalmann Filtering, Fiber-Optic Communications, etc). I really missed an opportunity by not taking an early program in Network Architecture - live and learn.

wow, in the U.S. (with 50 states, some of which have only one school with an EE department), i didn't know there were many more than 200 EE programs in the country. are there any other countries with a lot more than 200 EE departments?
i went to a non-prestigious school (U of North Dakota in Grand Forks), too, and majored in EE and got both a BSEE and an MS (not an MSEE). if your school sees their role or niche as one of teaching and transforming the ignorant (not meant to be derogatory) to the knowledgeable, given the values that i have, i consider that to be an asset. when i arrived at Northwestern (supposedly a prestigious school), i was amazed at how shallow the EE knowledge and understanding was amoung my fellow EE grad students that got their BSEE from Northwestern. that was, i believe, because the profs were not encouraged to teach nor to really prepare for classes they taught. they were rewarded for publishing in high quantity (quality was not really measured since the peers of the prof relied on the journals to judge quality). publishing several papers per year left relatively little time to prepare for the teaching that they were principally paid to do. i really think, particularly for the undergrads who paid the most money and got the least attention, that they got ripped off.
anyway, i think you (and anyone except those who really cannot handle the advanced content of most graduate courses in EE and Math) should go to grad school and get an MS, not just for the potentially better job prospects and likely better earnings, but for the sheer advancement in knowledge you will get, if the grad school profs are any good. do it to be a better, more knowledgeable, and more capable electrical engineer. that reason should be sufficient in and of itself.
r b-j

Do you want to be a mangare or an engineer?
I hire based on experience and skill, not degree's.
And hopefully a command of English spelling and grammar.
Jim
--
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
--James Dean

How would he know?
message

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote: *** and top-posted - fixed ***

This is totally ridiculout. So I fixed it.
Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. See the following links:
--
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
<http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
CBFalconer wrote:

Ridiculout; n. foolish boor.

Amen.
Jerry
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:47:43 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"

Or perhaps one day I will start using the spell checker.

Go to work for awhile (if you can), see what you like and don't like.
You might discover (like I did) that the money is in Project Management. Depends on the industry though... in interest of full disclosure, I'm a chemical engineer, not an EE.
Best wishes,
Michael
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When my kids leave school I hope that will do something for a year before college. All the people I know who took a break between school and college got a lot more out of college. They had a much better perspective on why they were there.
Steve