Exploding transformer

I was searching for some Tesla coil data when I stumbled onto this page.

http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm Down towards the middle is an mpeg of an arcing substation with the transformer finally exploding.

The transformer had to take a large amount of fault current before it finally overheated and blew. Unless that is normal operation of relief vents, the transformer looks like it burst open spewing an oil mist into the air being ignited by the nearby arcing.

It looks as if the intense heat from the oil fire probably surrounded the HV primary side conductors, making an easily ionized path to the other conductor or ground causing the fuse to finally blow.

Incredible sites in sounds in that mpeg.

John

Reply to
jriegle

I've posted this here probably a few years back, but if you like pictures of arcs and can stomach someone in the middle of one trying to commit suicide whilst high on drugs, this is quite spectacular...

Andrew Gabriel

some interesting mpg's. I liked the HV disconnecting on load, seen this done but never seen it caught on vid.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

We had a transformer go off down the street from me the other day. It sounded like a bomb and the spray of oil was all the way down the street on the side that blew out. Sunny day, no wind or anything. I don't know what took it out.

Reply to
Gfretwell

And there was me whinging when i grabbed that yellow phase.

sQuick....

Reply to
sQuick

Awesome!

Reply to
ehsjr

Assumed a 'can' rupture with oil--with or without oil ignition?

--s falke

Reply to
s falke

A simple flying-saucer crash... notice the first 8 seconds in all versions of the MPEG are "missing."

--scott

Reply to
s falke

Nothing caught fire as far as I know. I saw some mist in the air but no smoke. I didn't see a hazmat team so I am guessing it wasn't Askerel, or they didn't admit it. I'm still not going to go down there and taste it.

Reply to
Gfretwell

You should ask that the utility show you some documentation that no pcb was involved in the spill. They are required to do that.

Reply to
Mark Mastrocinque