F-plug need to be fully tightened?

Peto wrote:

A very thin film, applied with a Q-tip is all that is needed.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Remember all its there to do is fill any airgaps to prevent moist air getting in and starting corrosion. It takes almost no contact at all to provide a good RF transmission: its when that contact is via a film of oxide, that troubles start.
says...

It takes one complete thread to make the RF seal, which was MT's point about torquing the nut down, somewhere back there.
--
Keith

Tightening doesn't seal out air. The threads simply do not mate that well. It does guarantee good electrical contact PRIOR to any oxidation formation, however, which could mean years of good service.
Most cable companies now have/use fitting that incorporate a neoprene o-ring in the base of the fitting's "cup".
snipped-for-privacy@youdontknowjack.org says...

Tighten the nut enough and you will have contact. Cable companies tighten the piss out of 'em to get a good RF seal.

Likely to keep moisture out.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Agreed. In terms of leakage, anyway.

Yes, as such "films" are typically similar in electrical characteristics to resistor mediums. Which means loss.
The other problem is that such "layers" between a true metal to metal contact makes for a very noisy electron stream, as well as the losses presented by the higher resistance.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

Its worse than that: silver oxide over brass makes a fairly decent rectifier. You can add harmonics that weren't there.
In my particular hoibby - Radio controlled aircraft - it even has a name - the rusty fence syndrome. Rusty fences do strange things to shortwaves. You get all sorts of intermodulation effects with a rusty fence: makes quite a good mixer.

That's less releavant at RF..unless its wobbling in the breeze.

Yes...
Just so you know, however... PURE Silver oxide is the best conducting compound on the planet. Note that I did not say "element".
Not the stuff that puts the patina on your plated surfaces... the "pharmaceutical grade" media. :-]

It is the same thing as "shot noise". electrons banging into things along their path.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

Shot noise is merely the noise inherent in a current because its made up of discrete units of charge.
Got nothing to do with connectors.

Shot noise is that which is generated by a very simple thing, known as friction, and it is inherent in ANY medium which electrons pass through, including conductors.
It just happens to be far more prevalent in bulk mediums, like the old carbon comp resistance mediums. It has more to do with imperfect crystal lattices than anything else.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

Why not educte yourself befre opening your mouth?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise

It has nothing to do with any of that.

I can immediately tell what you need stuffed into yours, asswipe.

Tell us, oh guru of mouthyness, what is it that generates the heat in a conductor. Do not merely say "current", tell us what the physical mechanism is that causes the medium to rise in temperature.
In steel transformer cores, they have constant pole reversals generating heat via hysteresis. What is the mechanism in electron flow through a conductor or semiconductor?
Then, in your infinite wisdom, tell us why fluctuations can be detected in the signal flows through such mediums as conductors, or ANY medium for that matter.
Or could it be that you did not foresee that such fluctuations do occur?
It appears that YOU are the shot noise of the group, fluctuation boy.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

It ain't shot noise.
Read what I posted, and learn to talk the talk and walk the walk. Don't disagree with me, disagree with whoever called it shot noise in the first place.
Shot noise is not thermal noise.

Electron or hole transfer of charge. By majority (cndutor) or minority (semiconductor) carriers.
I have forgtten more than you apparently know, so don't piss around.

For many many reasons,. of which shot noise is only one. Shot noise, thermal noise and flicker noise come to mind as the most relevant to circuitry.
Look them up in Wiki and learn the difference before shouting your mouth off to impress your little friends.

It occurs to me that you are a prat who has learnt tow words that he doesn't actually understand, an using them to try and impress people, probably due to an unusually small penis or something similar.
Anyway I didn't spend twenty tears o my life doing low level analogue circuit design in order to bandy words with some nerd who thinks the world owes him homage just because he can pronounce 'shot noise' as if the mere fact of saying it actually meant something.

It's called friction, fucktard.
Consider yourself pissed ON.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

ROFLMAO!!
Sorry mate, that one ended up right on your head. Not mine.

You're an idiot.

Not your mate, you retarded fuck. This is Usenet. Keep your localized retarded colloquialisms to yourself, fuckhead. And no... it was most certainly you that is getting pissed on.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:49:36 -0700, GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Keep your totally utterly disgusting expletives to yourself also just because this is Usenet it doesn't mean that we all have been brought up in the gutter .
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:38:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

In my country, asshole... I enjoy free speech.
Feel free to stand under the shower with you ASSociate.