F-plug need to be fully tightened?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:01:47 -0400, "Tim Perry"

I am having trouble finding the General Electric product.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

Which General Electric product?
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:32:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

It was/is a huge toothpaste style tube of nearly clear compound for dressing RF fittings... Specifically for that purpose.
I think it has been in use in some military circles for about four decades.
Notice that the branches *still* keep "things" from each other.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

Sounds like silicone grease.
A useful non conductive non degradeable sort of product..

Tim Perry wrote:

There is no reason to keep disconnecting the cable modem.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:41:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Mine is constantly being hacked at by the kook group retards. When I am not using it, I turn it off. Most have a switch... nearly all have a dongle connection which can easily be pulled. No power, no bits moving.
The guy can't be that goddamned paranoid.
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

I have a firewall in my router to block them. The only time I unplug the modem is when it locks up after months of heavy traffic. At times I see it go into remote rest from the local headend when they are having trouble with a block of adresses.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On Tue 16 Sep08 01:08, GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement
< wrote:

Hi, I am the OP. I can see that the threads of the plug and socket would grip one another and probably make good electrical contact.
However, I can't see the wire centre connector necessarily making electrical contact through that grease.
Does the centre conductor actually have to make electrical contact or is 240 MHz RF able to propagate properly across the plug/socket join even if the centre conductor is not electricially continuous?
IYSWIM.

The "grease" should NOT be your choice of simple petroleum jelly. It is a specific medium. It does not inhibit OR push back against anything, so it would not keep the wiper from gliding into the proper, connected position... ever.

With the proper medium it will not ever be kept from making said contact. It does not have the same consistency or viscosity as PJ does.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:30:23 -0400, "Tim Perry"

The "techs" that "assist" you online are typically VERY DUMB.

Yes, cable terminations can be very damaging to the female connectors they mate with.
Most cable companies use a cable with a copper clad center conductor which is steel. First off, it is very bad for your side cutters.
The second effect is that the center conductor ends up with a squared off "nose" (end) that is of a very hard material. This means that insertion into a female "f" connection WILL badly abrade on the two spring loaded "wipers" that get pushed aside by the center conductor when inserted. At that point, the two wipers become the connection to the center conductor.
Several things happen with this cable type. First, the copper cladding on it is barely thick enough to even call cladding. So it wears off, or can wear fairly quickly. But a good hundred in and outs are likely not a problem
Secondly is the abrasion on those two wipers. They can also "catch" on the nose of the center conductor and get deformed as it tries to literally push them out of the way. If the wipers are SPC (silver plated copper) then the abrasion leading to poorer performance can be a mere few insertion cycles. If it is brass or such, it may survive all 100 insertions, and still yield the same loss.
I have actually tried to round off the nose of my center conductor before and found it inserted easier. If one has a pure copper center conductor type cable, wear will not be an issue on the cable end, but it could still abrade or deform the female fitting internal parts. I have rounded those ends as well, but we are talking about severe overkill, considering that one only desires to insert these things a couple of times in their life.
On Tue 16 Sep08 04:43, GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement
< wrote:

Very interesting. Thank you.

In the lab I used to check various sat-tv receivers. On the end of the sat feed we had an F connector with a special connector screwed in - it was spring loaded with a solid smooth centerpin. It could be pushed on and off without actually using the threads.
No idea what it was called, but it was a stock item at the time.
--
- Blarp the Enigmatic

Blarp wrote:

Erm, I think that you will find that they are called "push on F plug adaptors". :).
I mentioned them earlier in the thread.
-- Sue
Palindrome wrote:

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Yes, we always referred to them as "Push Ons" as well.
"Quick release" is incorrect as there is no "release" mechanism.
Slip-on just sounds too much like a weak connection.
Blarp wrote:

That is a 'G' connector, and is intended for test only. They do not meet the FCC requirements for CATV systems.
<http://www.amphenolrf.com/search.asp?sidHCEF7001FD9E17F&NU
<http://www.surplussales.com/communications/catv-3.html near the bottom on the right hand column has the usual 'f' to 'G' adapter that was used on service benches. they describe it as "F" Quick Connect Adapter (CRF) F-QC "F" quick connect adapter converts 'screw-on' male to 'push-on' male. As usual, their descriptions are vague.
<
http://www.surplussales.com/Images/Communications/catv/crf-f-qc.jpg is
a direct link to the photo.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

So what, this is a UK group! :-)
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

No, it is crossposted to three groups:
alt.engineering.electrical sci.electronics.components uk.telecom.broadband
The UK has the same type of regulations, even if it isn't called the FCC. It used to be the post office?
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On 16 Sep 2008 14:22:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Any more stupid claims?
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement wrote:

Look at the list of groups in the header of the message he replied to.
That's the problem with posts going to several groups. The pp may only be reading a UK group and hence, as far as he, and that group, is concerned - be quite correct.
-- Sue