Generating 20 Hz pulses cheaply

Hello experts!

I would like to run a cheap experiment. I will take a 10 or 12" subwoofer speaker, and wish to make it pulse from 0 - 20 Hz. I would like to do this relatively cheaply.

Needs:

1) Function generator - would be nice to have a digital display, but not necessary. I see function generators all over eBay. It seems I can buy anything that can produce my desired frequency range. (?)

2) Amplifier - Do I need an amplifier, or can I connect the above directly to a sub? I have NO idea what specifications I need here. I just wish to make the speaker pulse at the low frequencies. I would like a good pulse, a muddy vibration would not be good. What do I need to look for, what should my spec. concerns be?

3) Subwoofer - I would like something relatively lightweight that I can easily hold in my hand. I'm guessing that isn't an issue, as the cheaper the speaker, the smaller the magnet, and the lighter it is. Buying a cheap one on eBay okay?

4) Connectors - I see function generators tend to have BNC outputs. do I look for BNC to RCA connectors at Radioshack? How should I connect the generator to the amp?

Thanks for the advice,

John

Reply to
JohnB