generator rental service

We are looking for continue our business even when utility power fails. But we don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a generator, which we will probably use only 4-6 days in a year. We are looking for services which will rent us generators and guarantee delivery during an emergency.

Does anyone know of a service which will let us reserve a generator in advance and then deliver that generator to my office building before a hurricane strikes? Even an annual contract with the company would be great.

What kind of fees should we expect to pay for a service like this?

We are looking at generators of about 400kW, in NC, FL and NY. Suggestions and opinions from other places are welcome.

TIA. AVM

Reply to
AVM

Sounds like the cost of leasing a generator the whole time less what income the hire company thinks it can make from casual hires ie the firmer the contract the higher the rental.

In NZ, such a hire company virtually 'pencilled in' bookings only. When the Auckland CBD cables failed several years ago, they hired all generators to clients in that area and those with forward bookings missed out.

Reply to
Peter

Any Caterpillar dealer should handle these (or Waukesha, Detroit Diesel, Kohler, etc.). Look in the Yellow Pages under "Generators" -- I am in a small town and ours has 6 sources listed.

Regards, Allen

Reply to
Allen Windhorn

Yes, AVM, you need to contact our sales dept at Elysium Power Solutions in Florida. The web address is

Shaun

Reply to
SHAUN

You'll need to look at your loads and distribution plan for connecting this generator. If its only a couple of extension cords, no problem. But if you'll be needing some sort of transfer switch and subpanel, these will be a large part of your investment. And, they'll be something you'll need to have in place before the rental generator arrives.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Thousands does not sound like a very big generator. Be very careful with this. You do not want to parallel your generator at all unless you have the appropriate relaying and control equipment.

As for the connection at the main panel, ideally you would have a disconnect that separates the utility from you. Otherwise, you will be putting power back out to the grid (so to speak). It is very dangerous for linemen and troublemen who are trying to restore power and they find a "dead" cable with power on it!!! Like Mr. Hovnanian wrote, you need to carefully study your loads. You can easily overload these generators (the small ones).

Just my two cents worth...

Reply to
Zman