Inductance Break-Point test

I picked up a set of screwdrivers from a petrol station and in the kit is a little testing screwdriver.
It has a little LCD type screen on it and two terminals.
The terminals are labelled thus:
Direct Test
and
Inductance Break-Point Test.
The screen reads from 12V to 220V.
I understand the Direct Test is a voltage test, giving the potential difference between the item I test and myself.
I also understand Inductance is the 'electrical field' around a thing that has potential to pass current without direct contact. Does the 'Inductance Break-Point Test' then tell me the potential around the wire etc. and if so what does the 'Break-Point' refer to?
thanks in advance
--
Billy H

Billy H wrote:

Inductance is an actual quantified measurement of flux produced by actual current flow.
The inductance break point test uses the detection of magnetic flux to indicate if a wire is broken or disengaged in a sheath. If an extension cord, for example, isnt working because either the hot or neutral is broken - this device will tell you exactly where the break is due to the lack of flux generation.