Metal Halide lighting 12v dc help!

Hello!

Does anyone know where I can find any information on Metal halide lamps which I could use on a 12v dc supply? I am after something that has the same sort of reflector size/shape as a 12v dichroic but would draw much less watts per lumen.

I would like to know what sort of striking voltage and running current/voltage these sort of lamps require (something around the 35w category would be nice!)

Your input would be much appreciated!

minman

Reply to
miniman

35 w and Metal Halide? I did some googling and found this page
did not know that MH came in a 25 watt lamp. The ones I have used were always 70 w and above.

You do not mention the lamp position and that is important for longer life.

Might be time to consider halogen instead of MH

Me thinks your going to have a rough go with 12v dc and a ballast for MH.

Reply to
SQLit

Hi! I was looking to make something that was similar to the new bike lights which seem to run on reasonably low wattage discharge lamps, have a quick look at the BLT bicycle lights and tell me what you think!

Lamp position would be head mounted!

The reason for the discharge lamp is a longer burn time for limited batteries or brighter light for less power consumption as I can't carry too much weight whilst on a long journey!

What about the new car headlamps, do they run at 12v?

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Most cars in the US are 12v, the HUMMER is an exception I know they are either 36 or 48 volt systems. Not sure if their lighting is 12 v or not.

HID lighting is not a good choice for something that is moving and/or orientation changes.

Anything that puts out any light at all will have a lot of heat as well. Unless you head into the LED arena

Reply to
SQLit

Go LED if weight is an issue. You've forgotten about the ballast/starter. Don't also forget about the startup time, glass envelope and heat sheilding. MR dicroic lamps are FAR lighter weight than anything HID.

LED's are not as effiecient as HID but they are far more directional and smaller!

What is your application?

Reply to
Rick R

The application will be for a Mountain bike light which is helmet mounted, currently I have a 50w 12v dichroic (closed glass) running from a 12v 4ah nicad battery.

Although battery life is passable, I would like to increase the running time by reducing the load, although I still want to keep the high light output due to the terrain I ride.

There are brands on the market such as LUMICYCLE and BLT which seem to manage with HID

And I think European BMW and Mercedes fit HID as standard in new cars so I think it is pretty robust given the right choice of lamp, I just want to know what lamp and what it takes to strike it and run it, the rest I leave to my mate in the electronics industry!

Many thanks your input would be much appreciated!

miniman

And LED is still not quite bright or directional enough for my usage although the lamp life is very good!

Reply to
miniman

get a candle boy

Reply to
PC Hood

I think a candle bulb would be a bit dim, sonneschien. :-)

Reply to
miniman