My AC digital clocks run fast. Cheap fix?

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:17:03 -0800, Capt. Cave Man

You are really a dim bulb, DimBulb. There needn't be any moving parts in a line synchronous clock. What can you say, ALwaysWrong? You're simply always wrong. Simply simple, in fact.

You're an idiot.

Nope. At the zero crossing, and NOISE that you want to call a spike is an order of magnitude smaller than the sine wave that is driving the motor.
In other words... it is negligible. The coil and the rotor of the motor are locked to the line frequency, and all but the most extreme noise signature is not going to change the speed ANY significant amount at all.
Capt. Cave Man wrote:

Read the whole thread. The OP was talking about *electronic* digital clocks. That's what 90% of the thread is about.
One poster only mentioned that the OP should compare his *electronic, digital* clock with an old fashioned synchronous-motor clock to determine if the line frequency really is the culprit.
daestrom

None of which are regulated to the AC line. Well, at least not those he is talking about.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:09:22 -0800, Capt. Cave Man

AlwaysWrong is wrong (surprise), once again.

The DVR most certainly uses a PC clock scenario, and the VCR may as well.
So YOU do not know what got incorporated into either one either, you COMPLETELY WRONG twit!
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:55:46 -0800, Capt. Cave Man

Wrong. DVRs have no Internet connection, DimBulb.

Nope. I keep telling you that *YOU* are AlwaysWrong, DimBulb. Everyone here seems to know this but you haven't gotten your hands out of mommy's hamper long enough to have it sink in.

A PC clock does not need the Internet, you retarded twit.
It is a 32,768 kHz crystal.
Show me where I said anything about an Internet connection, retard boy.
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:26:05 -0800, Pieyed Piper

AlwaysWrong, crystals make *CRAPPY* clocks. You'll not get much better than a few minutes a month from a raw PC clock, DimBulb. The AC line is *far* more accurate. What a dumbass, Dimbulb.

Bullshit, you retarded twit. PC clocks can be as accurate to only be off by a few seconds per month. I have NEVER seen a PC clock that was off by more than a minute over the entire year.
You always embellish your total bullshit with so much kiethtard bullshit that it is obvious that your nothing more than a full of shit twit.

Which further proves that he doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. Nor do you.
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:04:48 -0800, Pieyed Piper

AlwaysWrong once again proves his name. Because you haven't seen it must not exist. What a dim bulb you are, DimBulb.

I don't embellish the fact that you're AlwaysWrong. Can't.

AlwaysWrong, so wrong, always.

And yet your claim that they are off by several minutes per month is accurate?
Bullshit. You are the one that is off the mark by orders of magnitude here, you dippy twit.
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:19:15 -0800, Pieyed Piper

No, DimBulb, I claim that being off several minutes per month is *not* accurate, yet some are.

AlwaysWrong is, *SURPRISE* everyone, always wrong. Why don't you give up while there may still be someone out there who doesn't know how dim you are, DimBulb.

Pretty silly. The line freq is dead on, and has been for decades!
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:10:02 -0800, Capt. Cave Man

DumBulb, there is no regulations about noise on the line. Some clocks don't like it. You don't have to prove that you're wrong again, AlwaysWrong. We all know it.

While it is true that main line power companies do keep the adjusting frequency so that the total number of cycles is adjusted to time standards, the clocks dependent upon that frequency often are in error. Many years ago, I think I saw an error of one or two minutes according to WWV. It is unlikely that there would be such large deviations these days. There also are situations where power is not connected to the grid. I used to go fishing at a place that ran diesel generators for power. I am pretty sure that the operator did not try to correct for phase drift.
Bill
--
As the years go by, dying just before having to fill out a tax return has merit.

Up to a certain point, the gyro mass of the rotor will cancel that. For that type of motor, that is.
Many differences can be attributed to momentary outages as far as the long term differential you described.
Meow
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:15:07 -0800, MeowSayTongue

You're a hoot DimBulb. The mass of the rotor won't cancel any long term effects, you ass.

That's how the clocks run fast? What an idiot you are, AlwaysWrong.

So, you are saying that phase differences always cause a positive shift in such a clock?
The remarks mean that you are the idiot. Generally, such differences are random, and in both directions, so the resultant change at the clock would be negligible to nil. In your world, phase differences are always such that an AC Line tied clock will always advance farther as opposed to receding.
You should recede.
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:30:57 -0800, Pieyed Piper

A drift can be either.

AlwaysWrong is, surprise, wrong again.

That reminds me. How is your mother doing? Did you get your conjugal visit last weekend?