OT Nuclear U-Boats; how do they condense the steam?

After following the Vigil TV series (with all its reported errors) and also the prog on HMS Trenchard, when a Brit U-boat is powered by nuclear fuels, how
do they condense the steam?
With sea water? If so, there must be difficulties in sealing the intakes and outfalls from deep sea pressures.
Perhaps the steam is heated to 200C and only cools to 100C through the turbines before recirculating so no condensing is required. This, of course, will be wasteful of some thermodynamic energy, but there's so much in reserve in the nuclear fual that perhaps it does not matter.
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:49:28 +0100, gareth evans

As an aside would you recommend Vigil? A friend of my said the submarine looked like a free gift from a cornflakes packet.
On 16/09/2021 15:42, Scott wrote:

very good thrilling plot (unlike Star Wars which I got less than half way through before giving up on it)
On 16/09/2021 15:42, Scott wrote:

Some of the CGI is very good, other stuff is pretty awful.
Maybe the same designers that made the old Blakes 7 series and Crossroads built the models and sets? Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
On 16/09/2021 15:42, Scott wrote:

It has *very* high ceilings for a submarine. Presumably needed for the cameras to get the right angle but means it doesn't look realistically claustrophobic like the reality would actually be.
It looks like it might be a half decent thriller but not realistic.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 16/09/2021 14:49, gareth evans wrote:

Sea water heat exchanger

The main engineering problem seems to be keeping it from making detectable noise while the boat is running in quiet mode.

--
Colin Bignell

On 16/09/2021 15:54, nightjar wrote:

That doesn't seem to be an issue, judging by the Vigil films. There's a tannoy system that must be audible miles away, and the crew seem to shout at each other the whole time. What difference would a little gurgling from the reactor make?
On 16/09/2021 15:49, GB wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_running_ (submarine)
--
Spike

On 16/09/2021 16:55, Spike wrote:

Tell the authors, not me!
On 16/09/2021 16:55, Spike wrote:

Drill a few holes in the propeller....
https://www.maritime-executive.com/corporate/revolutionary-propeller-technology-reduces-underwater-radiated-noise
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 16/09/2021 16:49, GB wrote:

I'm talking about real life :-)
However, there is a high power setting fro the coolant pumps, which is relatively noisy. That is used when maximum power is more important than stealth. It is also used when leaving port, as it prevents any spy or spy ship from listening for the boat's silent running signature.
--
Colin Bignell

On 16/09/2021 17:46, nightjar wrote:

:)

That's interesting. I wonder what happens if they forget to do that once? Do they scrap the fleet and buy a new one? If so, it would be quite an expensive mistake.

Could they not just alter one of the components, preferably the noisiest one?
On 16/09/2021 18:17, Scott wrote:

Nah! If you're going to do the job, do it properly.
If I had the choice between several dozen new hospitals and a fleet of new nuclear submarines, I'd want to be equipped to start a nuclear war we couldn't survive. Wouldn't you?

The more nukes we have deployed the less chance there is that anyone will survive a nuclear war. We have the ability right now to destroy civilization as we know it.
The old saying is "If the next war involved a full nuclear exchange, the war after that will be fought with rocks and sticks".
On 16/09/2021 18:24, GB wrote:

The whole point is that having nuclear armed submarines at sea means that no-one can attack without potentially suffering a retaliatory attack. Hospitals are of no use if someone decides to obliterate your country, knowing that there will be no response.
While it would be better if no countries had nuclear weapons, while some potential enemies do, it makes sense to have your own response of last resort.

Yes, I think GB is suffering from the "why have nuclear subs with missiles when we aren't going to use them?" syndrome. He overlooks that they have been in use, 24x7, for the last 50 years or whatever it is.
--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk
On 16/09/2021 21:46, Tim Streater wrote:

Why have crash barriers when the whole idea is not to crash?
--
?A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,

The BIG issues for me about Nuclear conflict is it starting accidentally someone getting a bit trigger happy almost happened in 1979 wasn't it?, some Russian bloke queries odd radar returns instead of referring to higher up the chain, which from what had happened would have provoked a retaliatory strike!..
Nope 1983!, Stanislav Petrov
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident
--
Tony Sayer