Power generation

I have a question which I can not find an answer anywhere. In the U.S., we have 120V, 60 Hertz Ac. Electricity is generated from different sources, from hydro, geothermal, solar, wind and others. My understanding with a solar power panel is that it generates DC and the voltage may be low. How could be linked to the power grid, which is AC and 60 Hertz. On the windmill, the speed of blade depends on the wind. How can the power generated from the wind be a constant 60 Hertz. Does the electric generator always rotates 60 times a second at a hydroelectric power plant and at a natural-gas power plant? What if there is a drought and there is no enough water? If there is less water falling on the turbine in a hydrolectric power plant, does the generator also spins 60 times per second?

My email address is intentionally wrong.

Reply to
henry chow

They are called inverters. They convert DC to AC. For example, a major transmission line between WA and CA transmits in DC. An inverter at the receiving end line converts electricity to AC. The reason why Quebec was isolation from the NE blackout: all their connections to other grids are via DC transmission lines.

How does a solar panel create 120 VAC? Using a method also found in computer power supplies: a DC to AC inverter.

How does the power plant maintain 60 Hz? If not enough incoming water, then the generator simply provides less power to the grid. Maintaining that 60 Hz is why a power plant must output just enough energy to meet the load. Too little and too much means the 60 Hz will drop or increase accordingly.

And no, the generator turns much slower. But it puts + and

- > I have a question which I can not find an answer anywhere.

Reply to
w_tom

it cant, directly

On the windmill, the speed of

What if there is a drought and there is

we get thirsty?

If there is less water falling on the turbine in a

when any power generator attached to "the grid" goes out of parameter it is switched out of the circuit.... and we buy more power from Canada :)

Reply to
TimPerry

understanding with a

low. How could

The DC is inverted to AC.

On the windmill, the speed of

constant 60

blade pitch is variable to maintain close to constant turbine speed... then speed of generator can be regulated by variable transmission to produce 60hz.

at a

drought and there is

They shut down generators for which there is insufficient water. a typical plant has 10 or 20 turbines.

If there is less water falling on the turbine in a

times per second?

It could spin at almost any speed...it depends on how its wound and where and how the windings are tapped.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

On the windmill, the speed of

Actually, most wind generators are now use power electronics to convert the generated energy to 60hz (or 50hz). Blade pitch is changed to change power output. Turbine speed is allowed to vary.

has some good info.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry