Wind power electricity generation

Propane costs are getting burdensome. I live on a 3 acre hilltop in th country (midwest) with no signifcant trees near to where I could place
wind turbine. I'm doing a little early research. I'm looking fo something I could use to preheat water ahead of the gas water heater an to provide auxillary heat. Anyone have any good/bad experience wit particular systems or manufacturers ?
-
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/group/alt.engineering.electrical More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.htm
In article

I'm not familiar with weather in your part of the world, but generally, generating electricity from natural resources, only to use the electricity for heating, is usually not efficient. Wind power only starts to become effective with giant turbines, and at least here in the UK, they still produce electricity which is significantly more expensive than most other sources, and are only deployed because of substantial government grants.
You might want to look at Solar water heating instead. Even in locations which are not considered warm and sunny, solar vacuum tube technology collectors are very effective at capturing the sun's energy to heat water.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Tnx Andrew. We have a fair amount of wind resources in this area, in fact about 100 miles north of here there are substantial "wind farms" with the giant turbines. I am considering solar or a combination of wind and solar. They both have their positives and negatives. Looking at the average cost/month of propane some investment in either/both is justified. Looking at turbines, it looks like there's a lot of "toys" being marketed that would be of little value for serious energy generation. Jim H.