Precise location sensor

Does anyone know of a technology, module, chip that can do precise location= determination...

I need something that can get 4cm (centimeters) or better repeatable (not a= bsolute) location accuracy, in an area approx 100m x 100m (or so)... 1 upd= ate per second is fine.

I am pretty sure that this is beyond the capability of GPS.

I can envision a "local LORAN-like" solution consisting of: 3 fixed statio= ns, 1 which is a master transmitter, and the other two of which transmit a = different frequency, but with a phase-locking arrangement. Then, the senso= r would need to sense these 3 frequencies, do a phase difference determinat= ion, and then use this to augment a GPS coordinate with a hyperbolic line o= f transmission.

Just as a reasonability check, 10degrees of phase at 150MHZ works out to so= mething like 5cm or so. Higher frequencies being even more precise.

Thanks for any ideas, before I go about building something like this myself= ! Tman

Reply to
Tman

I meant "line of location"...

Reply to
traykoff

You need DME, distance measuring equipment. It has replaced almost all surveyor chaining. I do not know who makes these now. HP maid one using IR LED's which got rid of some problems with laser coherence. Microwave versions under the name telurometer were manufactured. A bicycle retroreflector with work well with optical DME. I believe Zeiss mad DME that fitted onto a theodolite for use at Olympic Games. That can be used to get position rather than just distance.

Let us know what is currently available.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Doesn't that Roomba self-driving vacuum do that?

Reply to
Rich.