Retarding Torque on a motor is what?

I work in a welding shop and do occasional maintenance. We have a large (Bertsche 10foot) shear. The motor that moves the back guage has on the info plate that there is I think 6 lbs of retrading torque. THere is also from back of motor an adjustable clamp which bottoms out on welded on stop. This adjustment must be related to this retarding torque but I have no idea what is going in. I posted this also to the maching newsgroup where there is usually someone who will know just about anything to do with manufacturing with no luck. Any ideas? Ken

Reply to
clannorm

I can't imagine why torque would be retarded while the motor operates. Maybe that is a braking device to keep the machine indexed at the end of a cycle, so it doesn't coast through the next half, or so of it's motion?

Reply to
Long Ranger

This was found here:

In other words, the rotor spins backwards and a torque has to be applied to make it stop. This is the retarding torque. I suppose in your case, when the shear opens and goes backward, a torque must be applied to stop it before it hits the stop.

Al

Reply to
Al

Let me explain further. The motor moves the back guage in and out so that whatever is being cut will be cut to a specificl length. From the shear blade to the back guage which as i said is moved by the motor. The motor is off or at least I've stopped pushing to button to position it when the shear comes down and shears the material. Most of the force id directed down cutting the material. I assume there is some pushing against the back guage and maybe this retarding torque is so the guage stays stationary. Ken

Reply to
clannorm