Siemens Type Q Breakers

Does anyone one knows if Siemens type Q breakers are rated for 50Hz? I want to know if I can buy a load center and breakers from the US to be used in Africa, where the Voltage is 220-240V and 50Hz frequency.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kissi Asiedu

I have built and delivered assemblies in the US for use in areas having

220 volt, fifty hertz supply. The only thing that the breaker responds to is current. So as long as the breaker is suitable for the voltage of the circuit it will be fine. In that regard be careful to purchase 250 volt breakers rather than 240/120 volt breakers. 240/120 volt breakers are only suitable for voltages of 120 volts or less to ground. The 240 volt portion of the 240/120 rating indicates the breakers suitability for controlling circuits having 240 volts between the conductors but not 240 volts between the conductors and the earth.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
Tom Horne

Does interrupt rating change if there's a change in frequency?

To the OP, I'd ask a Siemens rep whether it's rated for the application. There's probably a even 1 800 number for Siemens. Who knows what can of worms might emerge if it's applied outside of approved use.

operator jay