Tapped PA for transmitting.

Hi: I've been here before under a different address. Pretty much the same problem. The situation, though simple sounding and I won't review, has snags that seem to multiply geometrically. It keeps coming back to my needing to tap a PA audio signal from wire(industrial setting, very sloppily done) and transmit it a few tens of feet, and reamplify to a speaker at moderate volume level (not extremely noisy environment). I can teach myself the necesary stuff if I can find something on PA systems. My personal experience includes: Military radar, PLCs, Industrial electrical systems, but absolutely no Audio of any sort. I need to find out what is on the wire pairs Audio over DC?, Audio/AC, Possible peaks, noise levels, etc. I don't have the time to analyze the system to the point that I'm confident that I've "got It" Anyone know any online resources?

Reply to
les

I offered you a solution - maybe you missed it. Home Depot sells wireless "garden speakers", which consist of a transmitter and a receiver. The receiver includes an amplifier and a loudspeaker. The thing works well. I bought one on clearance for $25.00 - they are normally $100. See if they have them on clearance near you. The thing has a volume control on the input to the transmitter, and another on the receiver, so connecting it to the PA should be simple - just run the one PA speaker wire through a 10 uF electrolytic to the center pin on the input to the transmitter, and the other to the shell. The value of the electrolytic is not critical, but I'd use a 100 volt or higher becaues the PA line may be at 70 volts.

If you aren't near a Home Depot, or they don't have it on sale, you can have mine for what I paid plus shipping. Why? Becaues the &%@#$$ thing is not to be used in wet locations. Sheesh. Howinthehell can it be a "garden speaker" if you can't use it where its wet? And - to make matters worse - the disclaimer about wet locations is in real small print. So it doesn't do what I want.

Reply to
ehsjr

buy and read the "Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook"

this is the "bible" of sound system design and operation

Reply to
TimPerry

Just hire it done the right way.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks again for the help. ehsjr: I don't work under an always rational set of managerial guidelines and partly because of that I can't take you up on your offer, but may be able to work out the "Home Depot Option" with the powers... Tim: Thanks, Whether it'll help me immediately or not, I've gotten to where I just want to know so I'll get it.2 Brian: If that were an option, I would.

Reply to
les

Is the system a 70 Volt line system? This is as opposed to 4/8/16 ohms. If it is 70 Volt (which is pretty standard for professional PA) you just need a

70 ohm audio transformer to "tap" into the line.

Ron

Reply to
no_one

The 70 Volts does not really define a PA system as being professional, this votage was common for the older PA systems, but these day's I'm seing lots of lower votage PA systems. Although, the transformers I'm use to seeing these day's are 45-70 ohms for zones speakers, and 8 ohms for single point speakers.

A common cheap solution I've seen for this problem in older buildings is to interconnect the PA system to phone systems, when a all call is done from one phone the phone system is programmed to open both lines to the two PA systems and a page can be done. This is providing that you have one phone system for both areas.

no_> Is the system a 70 Volt line system? This is as opposed to 4/8/16 ohms. If

Reply to
Roger