Terminating stranded wires

If you are acknowleging that the screws on the side of a 50 cent receptacle where the wire is supposed to go are "screw actuated terminals" we all agree and just in a silliy misunderstanding.

Reply to
Greg

If you look at the side of that receptacle, you will see a small upturned metal tab that when a wire is placed, restrains that wire from side slipping out from under the screw cap when tightened. I am not talking about the metal link between two receptacle circuits which can be snapped off to make two seperate circuits. Also, the underside of the screw cap is ridged for a friction grip. It is that tab that makes the connection a terminal and not just a plain old ordinary hardware store screw. It is the ridging for the friction grip that makes the screw not just an ordinary hardware store screw. In that case, it is a screw actuated terminal. If that tab were not present and there was nothing to restrain the wire from slipping out or failing that, if there were no ridging under the screw head then it would not be a terminal and it would not satisfy code.

One more time with clarity....it is NOT okay per code, to simply wrap a wire, solid or stranded, around the threads of a plain old every day common hardware store screw. To satisfy code, there must be some form of restraint, be it clamp, friction grip, restraint, etc.... that makes it a terminal. IF one insists on using a standard common screw, THEN the wire must be terminated to some form of connecting hardware such as a spade or ring connector and THAT applied to the screw.

I don't know how to make it any simpler than that and its what I've been saying all along.

Reply to
EEng

You are taking the word of a manufacturer over the NEC?!? What a dumb ass!

Reply to
Me

No, I'm pointing to the site of a terminal manufacturer, AND I'm not only a design engineer, I've also been a manufacturing engineer for

24yrs and owned a manufacturing business for 15 years and am required to comply with many codes. NEC be damned, they only write the compliance codes, they don't make em. The real pity is the educated idiots who can't tell the difference between a standard screw and a screw actuated terminal. Fine by me, at least I know all my stuff gets green tagged to code.
Reply to
EEng

Excuse me?

Go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Kilowatt

It is clear you don't know much about the NEC. The manufacturer's labelling and testing lab listings are what guides the code, not the other way around. If we allowed the code officials to stifle innovation our homes would still be wired in Knob and Tube.

Reply to
Greg

On 10 Feb 2004 01:51:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) Gave us:

Ouch.

I wonder how many house fires a year that would allow to occur. :-]

Reply to
DarkMatter

AAAHAHAHA now THATS funny!

Reply to
EEng

You're a trolling moron and you just proved my point. It doesn't matter how many times I say NO YOU CANT you insist that I'm saying YES. You're KF'd you idiot.

Reply to
EEng

Yet another time where yes means no and no means yes.

You're a trolling moron and you just proved my point. It doesn't matter how many times I say NO YOU CANT you insist that I'm saying YES. You're KF'd you idiot.

Reply to
Me

Boy, has this thread ever gotten out of control!

I have never before see people so intent on deliberately making themselves misunderstood.

Reply to
John Gilmer

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:34:41 -0800, EEng Gave us:

Sorry, dude but he is not a troll.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Darkmatter, maybe not in your book, but in mine, anyone who consistently says "Why do you keep saying YES" when all you've been saying is "NO" and does this repeatedly despite any explanations.....is a troll.

Reply to
EEng