What kind of amp do I need

I bought a new TV and like most now, they don't have a line level output. I bought a digital to analog adapter to drive my remote amplified speakers but the line level out of the converter is so low I need to run the amps at full volume and they are still marginal. I think a small pre amp would work but the "turn table" amps might be too much of a good thing and they don't seem to have a gain pot.

Reply to
gfretwell

You are not the first person to spot this.

I wonder if the digital to analog adaptor is hackable? Could be a resistor change be all that is required in the ADC setup?

What's the chip in there?

BTW, you may get a better response posting elsewhere TV hardware related. Yeah, I know your TV runs on electricity, but ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

???? 8/12/2020 8:44 ?.?., ?/? snipped-for-privacy@aol.com ??????:

you're right a turntable preamp is no good because these have had and have what is called a RIAA curve de-emphasis because the records used to (and are) being compressed in the bass, I think. basically what you need is an op amp to boost your signal, surely there are pres or even kits that fulfill your needs? when I did for my thesis (in EE) an AM transmitter I needed an 60 W audio amp so I picked a ready PCB, it just needed a PSU and box.HTH.

Reply to
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

The (apparent, only) compression of the basis was an attribute of magnetic pick-ups but not of crystal pickups.

Simple electromagnetics, the faster the movement between conductor and magnet, the higher the induced voltage.

High frequencies entail faster movements than low frequencies!

Reply to
gareth evans

right, I never thought of that. likewise dolby was also an analogue mode of compression, I still have a working tape deck!that can do dolby b and c. short before analogue tape became obsolete there was also dolby s. the best tape decks were the 3 headed ones, where you could listen to your recording on the fly, while it was recorded! they could fit a record/play head on one piece, mine is a regular auto reverse, twin deck. one of the last good quality to be made.

Reply to
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Do they have a useable earphone jack?

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

No. The only out is digital/fiber.

When I get little time I will get back to it. I am looking at LM324 circuits and I have a few chips already. I am not looking for audiophool quality, just reasonable sound I can hear. A couple I saw look reasonable and I am just looking for line level inputs to an amp. I think a 324 can do it. Since I have 4, I might double them up. I saw that trick too.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is possible new TV's do not have an isolated DC supply, so you might be best to use a transformer off the audio.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Since the audio output is optical, it is not much of an issue but I did need to put an isolation transformer on the output of the DAC. That may be part of my low level problem .

Reply to
gfretwell

What kind of audio connectors are used? A set of computer speakers with an earphone jack would work, if your adapter uses 1/8" stereo headphone connec tors. Turn the volume way down, before turning it on.

Those mag phono preamps had the gain set to match the expected level of a c heaper cartridge. Some cheap cartridges put out up to 2V P-P. I used one ov er 45 years ago to bring the level up on the Network feed at a Military rad io station. That allowed a simple switch from local to network without adju sting the gain at every switchover.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Easy enough to try. Thanks.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is not elegant but it works. It turns out the earphone jack must be attenuated because I had to turn the volume way up but it fixed my problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
gfretwell

You're welcome. It's easier than building a custom amplifier, and it was designed for the right signal input levels. Some of the PC speakers that I've scrapped had a 220 ohm resistor in series with each earpiece when using headphones.

You can buy small headphone amp boards on Ebay, but most are overpriced.

Reply to
Michael Terrell