Where does the term u-fer come from?

I know that u-fer refers to the ground rod used in home construction, but where did the term come from? What does it refer to or abbreviate? Anyone know? Thanks

Reply to
ken

"Ufer" refers to a grounding electrode that uses rebar embedded in concrete. It was invented for the army by a gentleman named Herbert Ufer during WW II. Do a Google search and you will find a lot of information on it.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

George Ufer. an engineer in WWII who was trying to find a way to ground ammo dumps in the Arizona desert.

Reply to
Greg

How do you pronounce his name (I've only read about Ufer gorunds but never heard anyone mention it)? Is it "YOU FUR" or "UFFER" (rhymes with puffer).

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

As I recall the original Soares book on safety grounding has a detailed description of the Ufer ground in the later chapters. The new Soares Book on grounding editied by Phil Simmons does not remotely resemble the original works, and I do not think it should have Soares name attached to it, but I guess it helps sales.

Reply to
Mr. Smith