Why would anyone want to be an engineer in the USA today?

None. They tell you how to do it yourself.

Reply to
Keith Williams

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:09:58 -0500, Keith Williams Gave us:

One! His name is Surge, and he works down at the generation station.

He changes several thousand bulbs each day! :-]

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Good, you got me. Neither.

Reply to
impaid

At $400/hr, he'd better be changing thousands per *minute*. ;-)

Reply to
Keith Williams

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:18:18 -0500, Keith Williams Gave us:

I can see that you are *still* lost. It's a "light bulb joke". If you don't know what those are... you need serious help in this industry.

"The Guy's name was SURGE..." Should have given it away. A power surge can kill light bulbs, etc.

You got lots of catching up to do in life as well as the industry. I don't care how long you've been on the planet nor how long you've been in the industry. It's obvious that you've missed something.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:00:17 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs Gave us:

I don't see... no matter how hard I try, where the "lame" is.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Actually, any trade or profession is what you make of it. I have two friends with only high school education who have risen to the top in the electronics field and command over 100K a year in pay. They are both in charge of several highly educated engineers each. The difference is they believe in themselves, and not what a piece of paper says they should be.

Reply to
Long Ranger

Did I say any differently?

It can be done, but it's difficult->impossible, depending on the circumstances. A degree is an entry ticket. After the first job (five years) it really doesn't matter as much. Right or wrong, there are those (HR types mostly) that still make the shingle a requirement.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Well, you did mention "circumstances" as the major factor. I dispute that idea.

Reply to
Long Ranger

Someone with only a high school education making it to the "top" of the engineering design biz isn't ordinary, this puts it into the "difficult" category, at least. I'd say this sort of thing is more on the impossible side today; liability, HR rules, and all that.

What exactly is it that you're disputing? BTW, it helps to quote what you're disputing.

Reply to
Keith Williams

On one occasion many years ago, I interviewed a prospective non-degreed engineer who was looking for a job, mostly for designing capacitor charging supplies.. I did so reluctantly. To my surprise, he greatly impressed me and got the job. All in all, he did a credible job. But when he got things wrong because of a lack of understanding, it was a doozie.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

By the way, did you miss those quotation marks?

Reply to
Long Ranger

Eveyone I have known in this field that lacked the "sheep skin" or at least an equitable training were always less than adequate. The few that were very bright still were crippled by the lack of education. I suppose there is always the exception to the rule...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

No, but one word is hardly a quotation. Dr. Evil put "quotation" "marks" around "LASER" too. ...and in your first reply you didn'tquote *anything*.

What exactly has your dust-ruffle up? Speak now, or forever hold your piece.

Reply to
Keith Williams

In the mid-'80s we hired a technician right out of the Columbus OH (where I happen to be tonight ;) DeVry school. I was working on a Swiss-Navy project, so they wouldn't give me one of the "experienced" technicians. I took him under my wing and would only let a few other engineers touch him. In fact he rarely waned to work for anyone else. ;-) After about five years I was ready to move on (he didn't know it yet) and he came to me asking if he should take a job in the research division. "What, you nutz?!". Two years later he had been promoted to the same level as myself. e never would have come close to a the engineering review board in the group we were in.

It does happen, though it is rare.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Pulling numbers out of your ass and blowing smoke to camouflage your incompetence is not exactly good engineering methodology. There is a term for this methodology in the engineering handbook between bulk effect and burst measurements. This technical term is known as Bullshit.

Reply to
Jack

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:23:16 -0800, "Jack" Gave us:

Many make even more. Are you saying that such pay rates are not real?

If so... get a clue, and it is you that spews the bullshit. I am the bullshit grinder. Yours is currently gumming up the works.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

A real engineer with considerable amount of experience characterized you as "simple". He was just too kind. Unless you have any clue, let me explain.

Why bother to ask the lamp question? With your analytical skills, or lack thereof, it will take you light-years to figure it out. Your elevator doesn't go all the way up. You have too many loose electronics and on a different wavelength - instead of emitting light and energy you give off insults and bullshit. The closest thing you will ever come to quantum physics is quantum stupidity. You would not know the difference between a transient and a standing wave if it hits you on the head - much preferred is across your hands. With your mind in the gutter, you would envision a multivibrator or the function f(u) reside permanently up your ass. AC/DC in you case is the flip-flopping between dementia and end stage Alzheimer's. The maximum illumination you will ever perceived is by shoving your head up your ass. You were already told to do that by another real engineer as to go "Fuchs" yourself. That was the best advice you will ever get.

If you still considered yourself an engineer it is clearly not from what you know but who you blow.

Reply to
Jack

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:19:06 -0800, "Jack" Gave us:

Snipped retarded baby bullshit spewed by the retarded bullshit baby.

Grow the f*ck up, Chuck. You make me want to upchuck.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Feeling slighted are we? Your last name here is fortuitous. And simple to boot.

: : : Snipped retarded baby bullshit spewed by the retarded bullshit baby. : : Grow the f*ck up, Chuck. You make me want to upchuck.

Reply to
Pop