will 110V without a transformer power a blender motor or cause a fire?

One of my favorite things in the world died, my Oster 6710 blender. It will not power on. They do not sell it anymore. I took it apart, hoping maybe there was a easiler identifiable fuse I could replace, but to no avail.

The blender had a microprocessor / lcd screen with a menu system. I am assuming that's the part that's broken, not the motor, since it will not power on (there is no mechanical switch).

Normal disclaimers aside of how I might kill myself if I'm not careful around electricity, here is my question. If I wired the power cord directly to a standard 110v wall light switch and then wired the light switch to the motor, would the blender work (obviously not the LCD menu, but just the motor)? I know I'd not have any speed control, maybe I'd need something like a rheostat.

I'm thinking in all that electrical circuity, there might have been some kind of transformer built in, so that 110V got transformed to something less.

Thanks in advance for your help. G.

Reply to
glynndaddy

If the USA is like the UK, cheap blenders that are simply switch operated are two a penny and easy to get, and more the point... safe! Given that probably the main reason you like your Oster blender is the way it worked, with its microprocessor controlled sequences, I reckon you will not be happy with it simply running at full whack. If you really think you'd be happy with simply switch operation, get a new cheap one. If you think you may miss the processor controlled sequences, by a new Oster, as I'm sure they have a newer version of the one you have lost.

Reply to
Stephen

| One of my favorite things in the world died, my Oster 6710 blender. | It will not power on. They do not sell it anymore. I took it apart, | hoping maybe there was a easiler identifiable fuse I could replace, | but to no avail.

None on EBay or Craigslist, either. Amazon has it listed but noted as currently not available. Bummer!

| The blender had a microprocessor / lcd screen with a menu system. I | am assuming that's the part that's broken, not the motor, since it | will not power on (there is no mechanical switch).

Possibly the power supply powering the microprocessor.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam