KB Toys settles lawsuit, offers 30% off

October 12, 2003

BY STEPHANIE ZIMMERMANN Consumer Reporter

Consumers who shopped at KB Toys and were hooked by price tags that seemed to offer unusually steep markdowns can benefit from a settlement in a class-action suit against the retailer.

Without admitting any deception, KB Toys has agreed to refund $3 million to consumers by offering 30 percent discounts on any toy purchase of $30 or more through this Tuesday. Consumers do not have to provide receipts of previous KB purchases; the discount is open to anyone. The 30 percent discount does not apply to gift cards, video game systems or video game cartridges.

The lawsuit alleged that the chain posted grossly inflated "reference prices" next to the KB prices on items in its stores, falsely implying that the KB price was much lower than an ordinary price.

One example was the Disney's Baby Mickey Musical Touch 'n Crawl toy, which had a "$29.99" price tag crossed out with a red line and replaced with $9.99.

Reply to
Neb Okla

Yeah, I went tonight, it was the last day. Nearly all the Legos, aside from the Bohrok and Rahkshi, were sold out. I was able to pick up a Pit Droid and a Lego Racer, though.

Reply to
M3wThr33