oh, that's a camera, not a gun

x-no-archive: yes

I got this set when I was a kid and my dad couldn't build it, and I was too young to do it. No wonder, it had 346 parts. WTF were they thinking? Seriously, were those early LEGO kits meant for older kids ?

Anyway, for 33 years I thought that engine piece in his hand was a gun. Did anyone else ?

A few years later when I was a little older, they got LEGO just right, not too simple, not too complex. I loved that triangle shaped space ship, and was very proud I could build it all by myself. I wanted the more expensive one, but I got the cheaper one and loved it.

Wish I kept them... Sniff...

Reply to
4

When I was young, I thought it was a hair dryer.

Of course, I hadn't heard about the moon landing yet (it just hadn't come up).

My dad used to read to me from a book about the Mercury program though - so I thought Astronauts were cool.

I also thought they were all from Ohio (John Glenn [first all-Ohio astronaut crew] and Neil Armstrong). Actually 24 astronauts are from Ohio to date.

...and for some reason the capital of Columbus seems to have a very high number of helicopters per capita.

Reply to
Neb Okla

Perhaps because they have a yearning to get as far away from the place as possible? :-)

loz

Reply to
loz

Interesting theory. One would wonder why, if it were valid, at least three non-native astronauts live in Ohio today.

Then there is the case of John Glenn. He was the first American in space, then became a congressman (representing Ohio - so he must like the place), and then went to space again on the Space Shuttle, and then went back to Ohio to teach at Ohio State.

Some suggest it could be due to the fact that we have such good astronaut role models. Others cite the state's excellent institutes of higher education.

Then there is the case of Carl Walz, a Cleveland native who set the American Space Endurance Record (and somewhat supports your theory).

...but I think that's offset by Keven Kregel who was made an "honorary Ohioan" and flew on STS-70 which consisted of a 5 member crew of Ohioans. ;)

If you're from the UK as your email address suggests, it would seem that there were more Ohioans on that single flight than there have been astronauts from the UK. In fact, only one British citizen has ever flown in space. Maybe someone is a little bitter? ;)

Reply to
Neb Okla

cut the guy a break. he is english, not french.

Reply to
Frmthgrav

ROTFLMAO!

Also, Glenn was the first American to orbit, but Shepard and Grissom were ahead of him in reaching space.

Later.

Reply to
Dan Rossi

True. My mistake.

Reply to
Neb Okla

And maybe someone can't see the little smiley. Perhaps you have a chip on your shoulder.

Anyway, we had our period of discovering new worlds and collonising them. Been there, done that. Found out it doesn't quite work out how you expect in the long term. Your turn now

Loz

Reply to
loz

x-no-archive: yes

I say we need 2 more states, how about Iraq and Afghanistan ?

BTW a lot of guys who walked on the moon were left handed :)

Reply to
4