Any Ilco Resellers Here?

I'd like to purchase 4 Ilco 2 3/8" deadbolts for 1 3/4" doors. 2 doubles, and 2 singles. All keyed alike. My local locksmith wants $12.50 per side to key the doubles, so $25 per lock. That's a bit much.

Let me know.

Thanks!!

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Are you some tightwad professional or businessperson who thinks that you are entitled to a life of luxury while tradespeople should live on the povertyline? If you are that tight, then put up with differently keyed locks and arrange your personal affairs so that two keys per lock suffice.

I heard the story of a small town dentist who made his nurse / receptionist ring up every relevant supplier in the town whenever he wanted to buy anything - even the smallest item. How pathetic.

Reply to
Peter

Down boy!!! :)

When I sell AND install deadbolts, I key them alike for my customer at no charge. If I'm not installing them, I usually key them alike at half price.

If the customer were buying them from HD, they could easily buy them already keyed alike. Not that I'm trying to compete with HD. It's just a "good-will", customer service thing.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Perhaps in monarchical New Zealand where the sheep have turned over every aspect of their lives to the Labour Party, the concept of the free market is rather foreign, even scarey, to you. But here in USA, the greatest nation in the world, we not only pride ourselves on it but we utilize it to its greatest potential.

In any event, my local reseller has never even seen an Ilco lock, didn't even know Ilco made locks, would have to special order them, and was going to charge me a premium for keying since it was a special order. Frankly, he didn't leave me with much confidence, and his price gouging was not called for.

Bob, you have an email.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Well, the intelligent thing to do in this situation (other than resorting to making fun of someone's country of residence) would be to make sure that the locksmith who was going to be "special ordering" the Ilco (Lori) deadbolts for you ordered them keyed alike from the distributor... Then you would only be paying for his "standard markup" on supplying stock...

"Price Gouging" is a funny thing, as you feel that you should only pay such a price for something and anything more than your imagined price is seen as "gouging"... What is it you do for a living??? Do you really think that a locksmith can support his/her business and family off charging only $12 a keyhole to re-key locks???

If you feel that strongly about what you are being [or will be getting] charged for rekeying the locks to one key, then why not learn how to do it yourself... That $12.50 per keyhole is getting you a quality professional locksmith with experience, and whatever guarantees are allowed under your state's consumer protection laws...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

So, tradesman1 charges $X for product Z, while tradesman2 charges $Y for product Z, and X > Y by 25%. You and Peter have still failed to make any logical case as to why someone should chose to buy from tradesman1 instead of tradesman2.

I'll spend my money where and how I see fit. You're afforded the freedom to do the same. As I said before, it's the beauty of the free market.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Thats good and all -- I can see your faulty logic very clearly -- you would rather spend your time to save a few pennies rather than pay the price of the locksmith who has given you a quote for the job and get it over with and go on with life... No, you would rather create "drama" seeking out a 'bargain' from another locksmith like many people who enjoy living beyond their means can afford them... Well, like those others, I guess if you don't see that you are wasting more of your time (which is worth money) trying to find someone to sell you something for just a tiny bit less than what you can get it for locally I guess than nothing I can say will ever be able to convince you that you are being foolish...

Do you honestly think that you will be able to find a cheaper offer here on alt.locksmithing ???

It is nice that you are attempting to give a lesson on economics here but I think it is off-topic for this group... After all this isn't alt.economics I won't even attempt to explain the fact that the US hasn't had a "free market" in so long that it was in what we'd consider "ancient history"...

Have fun looking for your "better deal"...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Hahaha. I simply asked for an Ilco reseller. Your butting in with unsolicited off-topic elitist commentary has created the drama. The only time I've wasted so far has been spent responding to you.

I have already found a fair deal. And, still, you've failed to explain why I should do business with a less experienced tradesman asking for more money than an experienced one offering a fair deal. Oh but of course, I already know you can't.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

G'Day Brian, yes We sell & install Ilco / KABA deadbolts. We K/Alike doubles for $23 Aust incl tax. Which in US dollars is about $18. So how many was it you wanted ? Postage to US might put you beyond the budget. :-))

Reply to
Steve Paris

Thankyou, Steve. I found a US based locksmith who is experienced with Ilco, and will be making the purchase with him.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Hoping of course that the factory does at least a few hundred series of keyed alike cylinders, that each branch gets a different series and that each branch does not keep re-ordering the same series all of the time (except for add-ons).

Reply to
Peter

Yes. Another reason to avoid HD locks. When I looked, they had about

20 deadbolts with only two different key codes... Call me paranoid, but that's not safe enough.
Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

You get what you pay for...

Home Depot isn't that bad as far as price goes, but as you noted they tend to order ALL of their locksets and padlocks keyed alike, and you as a customer only have a few different codes to choose from...

Not a bad deal if you know how to rekey the locksets yourself... BTW -- never buy a master padlock at Home Depot, especially if your neighbors buy from the same shelves... It just isn't as "secure" if everyone on the same street has the same key for their shed lock or etc...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, noe a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Not so with Lori DBs. ILCO mortise cyls normally come KA2 (keyed alike in pairs) so unless you found a distributor who stocks cyls KA by the case (10/box) ,(Clark doesn't nor does any other that I know of), you're out of luck unless you get the distributor to special order them for you. Most customers don't wan to wait weeks for them to come in.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

that's not too high to pay for re-keying a customers locks. if he is selling you the locks? he should give you some sort of break. (the doubles should come keyed alike and all that would need to be keyed is the two singles) when we sell a customers a small quantity of locks, we will key them alike for free...

g'luck

Reply to
Key