Great paper on safe cracking. Drilling and manipulation.

unauthorized

The question is who defines reasonable. It is well known that some locks can be picked. Just because a lock can be picked, doesn't make it defective.

And besides locks that cost more money are available from many of the same manufacturers and cann't be defeated as easily. The manufacturers and the locksmiths would be happy to sell the more expensive lock.

Even the lock on your door does not make the clain that it can't be picked.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I notice that although you consistently try to assert that locks which are easily bumped are not defective you will not come right out and say that a few seconds resistance to bumping is a reasonable level of security instead preferring to veer off onto a tangent and start talking about some locks being vulnerable to picking. Does a lock that will consistently yield to bumping in under 30 seconds (I can do most of the cheap one's in less than

15 and I'm not even that good at it) provide in your considered opinion a reasonable level of security yes or no? As far as picking many manufacturers of the 'off the shelf' brands evidently considered it a defect because they have added security pins to try to overcome it. They wouldn't have done that if they thought there was no problem with their products. .

The locksmiths and lock manufacturers don't even want the public to know there is a vulnerability. Most in your trade kick and scream and generally throw a tantrum at the mere mention of bump keying where the public might see it. That being the case how is the public supposed to make an informed choice. If locksmiths and lock manufacturers sold and installed product with a disclaimer that it was easily opened by bumping and for that matter picking I would have no problem. I see lots of statements about how good the products are and how they meet this that or the other specification printed on the packaging but I have yet to see a lock sold with the disclaimer: "Warning: this lock can be easily opened by unauthorized indivduals by methods known as bump keying and picking and as such should not be relied upon to prevent unauthorized entry." When's the last time you provided such a disclaimer with regard to a lock you installed?

This is just smoke and mirrors. There is a world of difference between many high quality locks that cannot be certified 100% pickproof (and what one can) against experts with all the tools and time required to do the job and a lock that can be opened in seconds with a tool available to anyone. Even highly specialized high security locks can be picked given the right tools and enough time. I'm playing with LaGard 2200's now. Picking them even with my ridiculously priced tool is hard and time consuming. I'm sure I'll get better at it but I don't think I will be getting it down to under 30 seconds flat. The lever lock was the first truely high security lock design, for it's time. Hobbs is the first person to generally get credit for picking the lever lock although it had almost certainly been done before since by the time of Hobbs' feat lever locks had begun to incorporate anti-pick modifications, a superfluous addition if they could not be picked as they were. That said it reportedly took Hobbs, a skilled locksmith and lock designer in his own right hours to pick Bramahs lever lock. Compare that to the supposedly superior basic pin tumbler that a kid with an hour or so's practice can bump open in a few seconds. Levers with very simple modifications to the basic design are very close to unpickable even today. Basic pin tumblers have never rivaled lever locks for security. They were a serious step backward in terms of security. They were just easier and cheaper to mass manufacture.

Reply to
Tim Mathews

It sounds like you both actually agree with the principle discussion, but have somewhat different mfg/seller/installer/client perspectives.

A few thoughts:

  1. Bumping is a form of picking
  2. Bumping requires producing a bump key in advance, IE a special tool is involved
  3. Using a bump key for criminal purposes indicates forethought & intent, surely to help sentencing if caught
  4. "Reasonable level of resistance" is subjective. a. Stated security rating of the lock b. Whether the mfg offers better alternatives c. What founded the buyer/installer purchase decision d. What are the local risks (crime rate, especially burglaries) e. Whether the lock supports the level of protection needed today versus when installed f. Whether the lock user wit property they want to keep has common sense to begin with

Most often the entity buying the lock initially just needed to secure an empty space to keep vagrants and rave party hosts out. Most end users have possessions that far exceed the value of.

Most sensible companies upgrade perimeter locks and rekey lock systems when they occupy. Most sensible individuals rekey or change locks when they occupy, especially if buying versus renting.

value of loss / cost to protect = level of risk

In court all of the above would be subject to the awareness and salesmanship of the lawyers on either side of the bench...

Reply to
BogusID