Safe cracking

Hiya,

Ive watched a couple of films (yea i know films arent real) but ive seen allot of them use a graph to open a safe, even on a program on british TV about an escape artist he demonstrated a graph method to open a safe.

whats on the 2 axis of the graph?? theres probably going to be no websites on this sort of thing.

is there any good resources showing the internal workings of a safe combination?

I have a fasciantion in locks and enjoy the mental challenge of opening them, thats the only reason im interested there no criminal intent intended.

thanks

dave

Reply to
spleen

See the FAQ for this newsgroup, search for "defeating".

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

"spleen" snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net ask defeating instructions in message news:YJO0c.1543$qP4.481@newsfe1-win...

---snip---

g'day

Reply to
Key

The graph is a visual reprensentation of differences at various points on the wheels. Yes that's vague. Somebody will probably still flame me for telling you that much ;).

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Yes I should of read the FAQ, im sorry.

Thanks Putyourspamhere thats what I was looking for, Doesnt tell me the exact answer but enables me to find out what I want (I dont enjoy someone giving me the answer on a plate), Thank you

Reply to
spleen

Actually, I should have said "see FAQ 0" -- the word "defeating" doesn't appear in it. I should have checked first.

Re internal workings of a safe combination lock: Many good "how things work" books will have at least a rough sketch of that. Basic concept is the same as the Master combination locks you may have pried open as a kid: a set of disks with slots in them; line up all the slots and the fence can drop in, allowing the lock to open. Of course there's more more to it than that in any serious lock -- as folks have found ways of defeating locks, the design has been refined to make that more difficult

-- but that's the essentials.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Yea i understand the basics, I just wanted to see what more complex safes look like, im a mechanical engineer by trade and find them a fascianting system.

defeating is in the FAQ, its in the title of a book..

cheers

Reply to
spleen

If you're really interested in safe's and locks you should check out ebay. Lot's of combo locks at way less than retail. Mostly not new, but no big deal there since you will probably just be taking them apart to study them anyway.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Your best bet might be to wander into your local locksmith -- preferably someone who sells safes -- and ask if they have a display model of a safe lock you could look at. Some do, in order to explain the idea to customers, and if you're a mech-e seeing a real operating lock is likely to be informative.

Many of the differences are subtle, but you should be able to figure many of 'em out.

True, but since I've never looked at that book I have no opinion on whether it addresses your question or not. The point I was trying to make was that lock defeating techniques are generally considered out of bounds for an open forum such as this one, for tolerably obvious reasons.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Very good suggestion.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Not to state the obvious, have you done any research at your local library? Via the wonders of Interlibrary loan, you should be able to get all of the information you would every want.

Reply to
bob555