Indiana weather

Hello all, Now for a serious post-LOL

Could someone tell me the best kind of grease to use on vehicle door latches to hinder freezups this time of year? Lithium?

Can't remember what kind of grease it was-but I used it once on the door latch on my truck years ago-some stuff that my dad had in an old can-no label-dont even know where tha stuff is these days.

I can assume that there is no grease which will not become gelatinous or buttery (what words)at low temp, but I am sure some work better in the cold than others.

Has anybody ever used silicone wipes on door trim to help it repel moisture??

Thanks guys for any feedback

Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

I use the RED grease at the auto supply store.. this looks EXACTLY LIKE what GM supplies with their locks, and have NOT had one freeze to where the key will not work the door or trunk YET.

(there are 2, 1 is NON fibered, for regular greasing, and the other is FIBRED, for wheel bearings.) don't use the fibered. the white stuff Ford supplies, turns to rock, and had 3 calls this week, on 97/98 FOrds that the lock would NOT work in either the door or trunk, but it worked before it got 1. DAMP (6" rain), and 2. FREEZING COLD. (12 above) anyone else around that does foreign can chime in here with what they supply/recomend, cause I don't do foreign and would be interested in knowing.

I was wondering about the silicone spray on the weather stripping myself.. I would 'hesitate' to spray DIRECT on the weather strip, and get it on the car paint-it should be safe, BUT I would 'wet a cloth', and wipe it down very thoroughly, for an experiment.

where it touches on the door would be 'hidden and safe' from any adverse effects., at least that would be REAL visible.

I HAVE, and have not checked. seen some 'teflon based' for boat bearing use, its white and so far it does not act like the sticky stuff that Ford uses. it seems to remain free.

its too bad we don't have a locksmith here from the N part of canada or alaska.. would be interesting to know what they use.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

gelatinous

I have seen silicone treatment wipes-in a pop-up container like "wet ones" at the auto store-(2.00-3.00)I might try this-anything that repels moisture has got to help.

Reply to
goma865

I hadn't seen that, wonder if one DARED put it on a window glass?? lol seen spray of silicone available, but didn't know they got to wipes yet --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Think it was Advance Auto Parts that had this.I was thinking of putting it on the rubber seal inside the vehicle door. What other name does "red grease" go by?

Reply to
goma865

comes 2 ways here. EITHER a cartridge for a grease gun, or a 'small' coffee can, with a pop top lid..

ask at the counter, they can point you to it. its a nice dark red..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I got a grease gun-We'll check it out-Thanks again Shiva. later, goma

Reply to
goma865

RED FLAG!

One thing to consider is that if your grease is petroleum based, you do not want to put it on a latex rubber seal. (They are not compatible, the grease will eate it)

Reply to
Absinthe

nononono you cut too much, he wants silicone SPRAY on the weather seal..

the red grease is for the INSIDE of the lock. and door seals arent latex anyway.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Thanks for clearing that up Shiva.Yep-I wanted grease for the door latch mechanism to prevent freezing and jamming open-AND-Silicone protectant for the rubber seals on the door frame. BTW, I did go to the parts store today-the guy showed me where the grease was-As far as red grease-he could'nt tell me too much.I did see some that looked like it was for agricultural use.Could not see any "low op temp" so looked around and found some Valvoline Ultra blend(think thats the name).Low operating temp is -56 degrees.Reads on the label it can be used for U.S and European cars-I will look for Japanese-LOL later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

for the door LATCH mechanism, I would get a can of spray white lithium.. and if you are COLD enough area, use Tri Flow instead. the lithium doesnt get 'thick enough, to freeze in blocks that I have seen at least so far..it stays pretty thin.. but the biggie here is the rubber freezing to the metal.. and for that pure silicone. and even then, it STILL might freeze.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--