Keep door from locking behind you.

Hello, I used to have a lock in my old apartment that would not allow the door to close if it was locked from the inside. It was not a deadbolt.

Basically if the door was open and you turned the inside knob to lock it and then pulled the door shut (behind you as you left) it would not close because the latch would not push in once locked. The only way to lock the door was to use the key from the outside or the knob from the inside once the door was already closed.

Can anyone tell me what kind of lock this is or if there is a way to make a regular lock behave like this because I do not want to be able to pull my door shut if it is locked and then be locked out. I want to be forced to lock it from the outside with the key so I do not get locked out.

Thank you.

Reply to
hampshire

That sounds like a restroom function lock.

If you provide a brand (Schlage, Kwikset, Weiser, etc) and a style (key in knob, key in lever, mortise, residential dual lock, etc.) I'm sure folks could give you some model numbers to help find it.

Reply to
Bogus

Right now the door just has some faultless lock, it looks simmilar to this Faultless Belle Knobset

'm not sure of the terms key in knob, key in lever, etc but it looks like a pretty standard door knob with the key on the outside and a small turn knob on the inside to lock it. Thank you for your help and I will look into restroom function locks.

Thanks again.

Reply to
hampshire

For years I always installed knoblocks and deadbolts. My new(used) house has a fancy latch and a deadbolt. Can't lock myself out with a deadbolt. Just my thoughts. Wayne

Reply to
wayne c

That's a pretty basic key in knob lock.

You might need to choose another brand, I've not seen a Faultless lock that supports this function...but they may exist.

(Any other readers know of one, with maybe a model number?)

Some vendors refer to these type of locks as "Service station function" or "Dormitory function".

Also, some brands allow the auto-unlocking function to be disable by turning the inside push button via a slit or groove on the button.

Either way, you probably want something that resembles the lock style and color/polish finish of the other knobs to match.

Good hunting!

Reply to
Bogus

I can think of alot of reasons that a KNK would do that, but the most prevalent are the closure being too tight-strikes or latch plates not mortised in. Was the door hard to close even when you did'nt lock it? Another is the anti-shim device that rides on the inside edge of the latch itself. When the door is open, locked or unlocked, the anti-shim should extend fully to the outside edge of the latch. If you locked the door then tried to shut it with the anti-shim not extended, the door will not shut. I've seen alot of them just plain gummed up.

If You prefer this, You could go with a classroom function: Outside knob is locked only by a key from outside. Inside knob always free-no inside thumbturn.

Hope this helps, goma.

Reply to
goma865

They do not make a key in the knob lock in the function that you describe. A classroom function requires the key to be used from the outside to lock or unlock the outside knob but to get this you are probably going to have to pay at least $100.00.

A standard Kwikset 400 series requires you to unlock the knob from the inside prior to turning the knob to exit, but requires one to either twist the little button on the inside to lock it. or lock it with the key. This type is more difficult to lock yourself out than other choices.

To accomplish what you ask you could have a plain knobset and a dead bolt.

Of course there are other options also. You can get a real estate type lock box to lock up a key or keep one with a trusted neighbor or friend..

Reply to
Roger Shoaf