Recommendations on old safe please

I just bought a tall (25W x 27D x 62H) safe with a Mosler 302. The tag says UL Class B Fire, Class T-20 Burglary, Serial 302XX. It was represented as a Mosler, but there's no sure indication. It's open. I am thinking about buying a Mas Auditcon 50 on eBay to replace the 302 combo lock. I'll paint it up, and use it for guns, papers, etc.

Any idea of the weight? I want to place it on the second floor. Recommendations on changing to an electronic lock? Any other info is appreciated as well. Thanks...

Norcalpablo

Reply to
norcalpablo

the 302 is a group 1 lock, its got added security things over the normal group 2's in that its far more manipulation resistant.

T20 IIRR means tool resistant for 20 minutes on the door the class b I believe says how thich the walls are.

it is NOT a fire safe, but I would rather be inclined to be a burglary safe.

weight? find the weight per cubic inch per steel, measure/gustimate, the wall thicknesses and do the math. UNLESS you got a pretty well built house, is, I would bet, going to remain on the GROUND floor, if not in the garage.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

A couple of things, first look at the bottom of the safe just below the door, Sometimes there is a plate showing the weight. I doubt the second floor will be any problem at all.

Also you might want to save your money on the electronic lock. A mechanical lock is highly reliable but the electronic locks are subject to sudden and complete failure, creating an expensive lockout.

Unless you have a need for the electronic locks features like an audit trail or a time delay I would stick with the mechanical lock. You probably should have your local locksmith service the lock and inspect it prior to putting the safe into service.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Keep it that way until you thoroughly check for proper operation and preferably have it professionally inspected.

Save your money and keep the existing lock.

I'll paint it up, and use it for guns, papers, etc.

Not without weighing it.

Keep in mind that in a bad fire it will likely end up on the first.

Be advised that the rating on this safe and most other older safes will probably no longer hold true when subjected to atack by modern tools and techniques which post date when it was originally rated.

Reply to
Steve