old safe found

Hi all,

I have just bought a old shop in Somerset, England.

We have found an old metal safe, without a key and curiosity says we want to look.

The make is S.F Turner of Wellington Works, Dudley.

Any advise in how to open this lock or what to do would be most appreciated.

Thanks, in hope. Gary Greenstock

Reply to
Gary John

If it was easy for an amateur to open, it wouldn't be much of a safe, would it?

Get a quote from a local safeman. You may be able to negotiate the price down by letting him fit you into his schedule rather than vice versa. If the price is still too high, you may be able to negotiate a "you can take the safe, we keep whatever was inside of it" deal, which will satisfy your curiosity at minimum cost.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Greetings.

FYI, this really isn't the best way to make friends in the alt.locksmithing ng.

Yes, you could do the local safeman thing. You can also try your hand at it first.

Seems to be a near rehash, but jic ...

Also, read the alt.locksmithing FAQ, which is mostly on locks i think, but still a good read/resource.
And read the alt.locksmithing archives. Suggestions and experiences have been given, so there are some answers in there. This should give you a direction to go with ...
If you keep logs, and get it open, i, and perhaps a few others here, would be interested in knowing how you did so. Either way, good luck!

.times enemy

Joe Kesselman wrote:

Reply to
times enemy

OP says that it's a key lock. He may have more luck at the local deeds office tracing the previous owners or maybe local estate agents could point him in the right direction. On the other hand the previous owners, if he finds them, will probably laugh and say

-- What key?. If you just want to get in regardless of damage then one of the modern diamond loaded blades will probably slice straight through the steel and concrete back. Talk to your local concrete cutting people.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

Thanks times enemy and Roger for your help. No thanks to Joe Kesselman as I was looking for advise and not sarcasm.

Reply to
Gary John

I didn't see anything wrong with Joe's reply. Get a grip.

You ask for some advice, you get some good advice, and you don't like the 'flavor' or style because it had a little humor in the front.

Sheesh.

Joe Kesselman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Easter

You got advice and gentle humor. Sorry if neither was to your taste; de gustibus...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

he's not here to make friends. he's here to sell services, even if he does not provide them.

Reply to
billb

A "local safeman" is a rare thing in England.

Try Thornes in Bristol. They're probably the nearest who have any sort of reliable clue about safes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley