Keyblank nickel silver and brass alloys?

I made a few Google searches on "nickel silver" alloy but it seems like there are many types of alloying just like stainless steel.

Does anyone know the constituents and the alloy numbers for nickel silver and brass alloys used to make key blanks?

Thank you

Reply to
itsme.ultimate

I would imagine it varies.. and i say this by trying to FILE some of the key blanks.. got 1 companies blanks that are 'soft' as compared to another companies-same blank, makes the file chatter trying to file it. ditto the NS, get into some that can be classed as firm, and then get another bunch from another place that are FIRM.

its exactly like stainless steel, some varieties never rust, and some will, and it all depends on its end use application.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

See:

Nickel Silver is apparently "Alloy 752" (65% copper, 18% nickel, 15% tin) so named as it looks like real silver - hence "EPNS" meaning electro plated (with silver) nickel silver. Presumably lock and blank manufacturers may use differing nickel silver type compositions for a suitable tradeoff between looks, strength, hardness and cost.

Reply to
peterwn