letter representation of combinations

I have a lock that has combination digits 00-99. There is a representation scheme for the combination using 6 character words. each letter represented by a number (like on a phone). Is there a name for this letter representation?

Reply to
asdf asdf

Shift cypher. At least that's what comes to mind. Maybe substitution cypher. It's been about 30 years since I was interested in codes and cyphers.

The more I think about it, substitution cypher is closer to what you describe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmmm.. i know what you mean, but when i think substitution cipher, i think of encryption. THis is more of a memorization scheme.

Reply to
asdf asdf

sounds more like ya got too much free time. but what do I really know ?

Reply to
Key

Mnemonics?

Reply to
Steve, or not

What are some examples of the system's representation?; ie name about 5 or so 2 digit numbers and their corresponding 6 letter words.

Reply to
Mike Easter