Lock "punching" tool

i was recently watching this movie 'cradle 2 the grave' and in it this group of theives break into a diamond exchange and then start going through the saftey deposit boxes therin.

my question is...

the theives use some kind of a shaft tool about 2 feet long which then has a grip on it. they place the point of the tool in the lock and then slam the grip down. i asume somehow breaking the lock...

is this a real tool? and if so what is it called?

thanks

Reply to
ian

Why. Are you a thief?

Are you concerned because you have a safety deposit box?

Please explain yourself better if you don't want us to think the lesser of you. I'm not saying you don't deserve a response but so far you have presented yourself as less than honorable by asking for defeating instructions and if you would have bothered to read the group faq then you would realise that is frowned upon here.

What difference does it make to you if it is true or not unless you want to know if your valuables are really secure or you are trying to rip off the same.

This is NOT a group that in GENERAL puts up with trash. If you dont want to be treated like trash then please prove your point better.

No disrespect intended. Think first, then ask. We dont know you.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Cooper

glen,

sorry about that. this is the first time ive used news groups in years...

i do not have a safety deposit box but i have been considering getting one and althought i am not overly concerned with the saftey of them i am now curious.

i was asking because i am a college student doing some research into locks/security systems/safes etc.

i also have a curiousity about locks and security and am looking at it as a possible profession.

thanks ian

Reply to
ian

Not having seen the film (and not likely to), I have no opinion.

But: Remember not to confuse movies with reality. In fact, Hollywood _deliberately_ distorts some security-related information, specifically to avoid being accused of teaching folks to steal. Besides, for dramatic purposes reality is not necessary and in fact tends to get in the way; what's needed is something that looks plausible within the limits of suspension-of-disbelief and is visually interesting.

Generally, filmic locksmithing is about as real as filmic computer hacking -- or filmic espionage, or magic for that matter.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Not an issue.

Safe deposit box locks are intended -- and sufficient -- to keep people from accessing boxes other than their own. If your concern is serious security, that's what the vault enclosing them, its alarms and cameras, and the bank staff, are for.

It's an engineering problem, and the solution is layered security, with appropriate strength at each layer.

If you really want to know what the frequency of safe deposit box breakins is, I suggest you ask your local police and/or banking industry representatives.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

I've done a little safe deposit work and never seen a tool like you describe. OTOH, I've never seen the movie either. My tools for the job are kept in a case about 11 x 8 inches long. While not difficult when the lock is understood, the boxes are invariably kept in a secure part of the bank and require the presence of two people to insure 1.) the the person with access to the box is authorized, and 2.) that the second key is available. As a college stutent, please don't believe everything you see in the movies. That McGiver guy is just a character in someone's imagination.

Reply to
MThomas859

Please consider a remedial English course. You need serious help with your capitalization, and punctuation. That is a far greater need than safe deposit boxes.

Oh, last I knew, they are not "safety" deposit boxes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like you're describing a dent puller (used for auto body work). I suppose, in theory, you could use it to begin the process, but there's a lot more to opening a safe deposit lock than just "pulling the nose". That in itself would just render the lock inoperable - even with a key.

Hope that answers your question.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

LMAO You are in the wrong place. The secret squirrels are gonna go nuts on this question. They will be accusing you of being a f****ng safety deposit box burglar and all kinds of shit.

Havent seen that movie but the tool was probably a slide hammer. It isnt just stuck in the lock it is screwed in with a sheetmetal type screw chucked up in the nose. Slamming the weight down doesnt break the lock but when the weight is slammed back up it will rip the nose off and allow access to the lock or in the case of a cheesy safety deposit box rip the whole door off. These things arent designed strong on their own since they are protected by a vault door. Another weakness of these lever locks is where the stump which contacts the levers is attached to the bolt work usually with just a spot weld. A flat tool similar to the key but without the cuts torqued hard will often snap the stump right off and allow the bolt to move. This is harder will safety deposit box locks than with other lever locks though because there are two keys used and also two stumps to break.

As usual secret squirrels save your pathetic flames and insults. I dont care. If you dont like what I post dont read it. Dont blame me for your goddamn coronary.

Reply to
somesmartass

Who knows? Are you? Werent you the guy when I was posting on here that was just whining his ass off about the TX licensing law? Probably upset because you couldnt pass the background check.

Now why in the f*ck would he think that. Your f****ng FAQs tells you where to find the MIT lockpicking guide and every other damn thing.

LMAO Its a group that does nothing but talk trash.

If you dont want to

Its too damn late. I already told him what he wanted to know. You secret squirrels either dont know or think the info is some top secret that has to be gaurded to the death. Christ forbid you talk locksmithing on a locksmithing group.

Reply to
somesmartass

What the hell are you apologizing for? Its a locksmithing group and you asked a locksmithing question. Yeah how dare you ask that here.

Thats all good but these secret squirrels wont tell you shit. You have to know the handshake and show your secret decoder ring.

Reply to
somesmartass

[...]

zHere in Canada we call them Safety Deposit Boxes.

As pointed out earlier, the main reason these boxes are safe is that they live inside a well constructed bank vault equipped with burglar alarms as is the building the vault is in.

I cannot recall any instance where a Schedule A Chartered Bank in Canada has ever had it safety deposit vault compromised. I can recall the occasional trust company or credit union that has had their vault compromised, but even this is uncommon, like gets reported in the news every ten years or so.

Brian

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

Commonly called a body slapper.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Right. In fact it is a *benefit* that a box can be opened somewhat easily without the renter's key - this is important when the renter loses the key(s), when the renter dies, etc. Then it is good that dynamite isn't needed. :-) But this type of physical intrusion can't be done without the cooperation of the bank - unless the enclosing vault is penetrated.

This sentence is worth memorizing - it is often the key (pun intended :-) to a good security design.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer