LocksmithVideoSchool.com

I'm looking at a web site called LocksmithVideoSchool.com. You get about 8 hours of DVD's. The areas covered are: 1. Lock Rekeying Course.

  1. Lock Picking Course.
  2. Advanced Lock Picking Course.
  3. Code Cutting and Key Duplication.
  4. Learn The Locksmith Business.
  5. The Art of Impressioning.
  6. Commercial Master Keying.
  7. Safe Combination Changing.
  8. Panic bar and cam lock installation and repair.
  9. Dead Bolt installation on wood or metal doors. Included is the Inventory tool and supply list and certification exam.

It's supposedly a very practical progam. He says these are the things he would have liked his apprentices to know about. No tools are included. Cost: $490

I realize this is a very basic course, but would it be good enough to start a part-time locksmith business? I'm also thinking of learning from a retired locksmith or maybe getting an apprenticeship with an established locksmith which I heard is difficult.

I think this idea of learning from DVD's is very promising. If somebody were to expand on these basics, I believe he could make some good money out of it. There is a very large need out there for a thorough course in locksmithing.

Reply to
wiley1

I like the 5 year time frame..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Thanks for the advice Key. I'm wondering if the best policy is to say I'll work for free for the first month just so they (and me) can see if it will work out.

Reply to
wiley1

The CD's are a useful starting point, just like the various read/test based study at home programs.

These CD's can also be had for MUCH less on eBay.

Reply to
BogusID

ehh.. personally I can get a feel for someone in a day.. and would definately know within a week, whether the person is worth the time needed..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

willing to train you.

I took a Home Study Coarse, Locksmith Institute, the Coarse that I took is

not available any longer. This was back in 1982.

I then got a Lockshop to continue my training.

I told them that I had taken a Coarse and that I didn't know much and that I

would work for Free to show them I was serious. What did he have to lose?

He liked my attitude and hired me and told me that he would pay me anyway. I

think that it got my foot in the door. The first thing that he told me was

to forget that Coarse and let him train me. I was lucky enough to have

learned from 5 Master Locksmiths at the same time. I learned a lot of different

ways to do the same job.

You will see that the trade is a lot different than those Courses will teach

you. The Courses will give you Basics and thats all. Every Locksmith

develops his own way of doing Lock & Key work. You will learn a lot of

shortcuts that are not tought in the Courses. That will come with

Experience.

The Trade is Changing so much, Mechanical Locks and Keys as we know them are going to be history in the future, you must diversify into Electronic Access to be

able to stay in Business. One day it will be common that Cars will no longer have Keys, they will use Scanners and elecrtonics to identify the operator. Some cars over seas already use this technology.

Commercial Business offers more Profit than the Auto Business.

You can make Hundreds of $$$ per call instead of, what I call

"Chasing Change"

I hope that this gave you an idea.

I wish you all the Luck.

Reply to
Key

willing to train you. CY: Yes, that's best, but sometimes no one wants to. I know one guy in Oklahoma, there is no one near him who will train. Like 100 plus miles.

I took a Home Study Coarse, Locksmith Institute, the Coarse that I took is

not available any longer. This was back in 1982. CY: Me same course, about 1976 or so. Still have the books.

I then got a Lockshop to continue my training. CY: I got lucky, got a job cutting keys. I thought it was useless crap job, but now I know cutting keys is essential skill.

I told them that I had taken a Coarse and that I didn't know much and that I

would work for Free to show them I was serious. What did he have to lose?

He liked my attitude and hired me and told me that he would pay me anyway. I CY: In my case, I hired near to minimum wage. Lasted about three months, and then got a better job doing full service locks.

think that it got my foot in the door. The first thing that he told me was

to forget that Coarse and let him train me. CY: You ever needed to rekey a Schlage wafer knob lock? I never have. You know, with the SC-6 keyway? Lot of that stuff I'll never use in my entire life.

I was lucky enough to have

learned from 5 Master Locksmiths at the same time. I learned a lot of different

ways to do the same job. CY: I got lucky to apprentice under a guy who knew safes. Showed me plenty, but there is so much more to know.

You will see that the trade is a lot different than those Courses will teach

you. The Courses will give you Basics and thats all. CY: Yeah, about 3 to 5% of what you need to know.

Every Locksmith

develops his own way of doing Lock & Key work. You will learn a lot of

shortcuts that are not tought in the Courses. That will come with

Experience. CY: And sometimes the way you're taught IS the shortcut.

The Trade is Changing so much, Mechanical Locks and Keys as we know them are going to be history in the future, you must diversify into Electronic Access to be

able to stay in Business. One day it will be common that Cars will no longer have Keys, they will use Scanners and elecrtonics to identify the operator. Some cars over seas already use this technology. CY: Sadly, I agree. Though, the old Yale style lock will be around for many more years.

Commercial Business offers more Profit than the Auto Business. CY: Car lockouts is an impossible field. Everyone wants to pop it open, the customer is always in a hurry, and you got to be there real quick.

You can make Hundreds of $$$ per call instead of, what I call

"Chasing Change" CY: Go after repeat business. Motels that keep breaking locks, business that keeps chaging hired help.

I hope that this gave you an idea.

I wish you all the Luck.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds frieking expensive. And then you got to buy tools. Wow. And eight hours isn't enough to cover much of anything. That's just one business day. I'd suggest to not buy that one.

You in Germany?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:CvCrg.46108$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

use to rekey plenty of them. the owner of the shop use to master-key them all the time. that process always confused me back then..

Reply to
Key

I never have, though I did do some deadbolt installs on some apartments which had MK Schlage wafer knob locks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:lrDsg.19973$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

(in my opinion) that style lock was never very safe to start with. those suckers was so easy to open :-)

Reply to
Key

Yeah another rip off 500 bucks for a days work! Stay away from these quick buck artists!

Reply to
Bill Halle

I've found them fairly easy to open. The one time I needed to service a lockout on one of those, I impressioned. Finding out later that other techniques work well also. We learn.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HP8tg.21656$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

we sure do "learn" ! impressioned ? that was also as simple as opening !

Reply to
Key