LocksmithVideoSchool - opinions / evaluations

Can anyone tell me if the LocksmithVideoSchool is worth checking out?

They offer no tools, but cheap classes via video CDs.

Is their "certification" recognized/accepted everywhere?

Reply to
Key Tinkerer

I get turned off by slick web sites which, err, "stretch the truth."

I wonder if there are any locksmiths who earn $80-100K/year with a "limited investment". (I'm pretty sure there are some locksmiths with that net income, and I'm absolutely sure that there are locksmiths who work with a limited investment. I doubt that the two categories overlap.)

Similarly, are there any "trainees" in this country (or the world) earning $28/hr (and making their boss rich)?

Are the classes "cheap"? Considering that no tools are included in the $295, this may actually be paying *more* for the class material than the usual correspondence schools charge. After all, you *need* to do locksmithing with your hands - and just watching procedures on video will not make you into a locksmith who can actually do anything. So you would *need* to buy tools and materials. Also, how will you tell if you've done the procedures correctly if the school won't every check your work? The idea of being certified solely on the basis of a written exam (if that's what they do) is laughable.

The idea of presenting the material on videos is a great idea. I'm sure it is possible to do it in such a way as to present material which is hard to do on a printed page. *BUT*, it isn't easy to make (design, shoot, edit) videos which do a good job. So I can't comment on the quality of these video classes. They still may be good, even if the web site is misleading.

or anywhere? :-)

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

I can only reference my own experience, but I have to date purchased three of these videos (Re-keying, Impressioning and the Lock pick video). I have personally found all three to be very informative and very well prepared. As the author of the video states, he offers real world training, not outdated material. I came to this without any prior knowledge of Locksmithing, but have since re-keyed all my door locks in my house and garage. I purchased an excellent duplicating machine (which is recommended in the program) and cut all my own keys and even bought designer keys from Ebay and cut them for my children. I even had the opportunity to pick the lock on my Ford Pick-up after my wife accidently locked my keys inside (we won't go there). Although, to sum up you question, if your like me who is a person who can learn very easily from watching someone perform a task rather than read about it in a book then you will enjoy these videos. I also purchased a book by Bill Phillips on Locksmithing from Amazon. I found that there are many books on the subject but very few quality videos in which to learn from and so far I haven't been disappointed. As far as the certification is concerned, to my knowledge ALOA is the only organization that offers a recognizable certification to individuals. If you ask me if the certification with this course is reputable then my answer would be yes. Will it help you acquire employment...probably not, but remember all certificaton does it test your knowledge and ability in any particular area. This test will tell you whether you have gained any knowledge in the areas being tested. In regards to the tools, this course can also link you with a source to purchase all or none of your tools and supplies. The quality of the tools I have purchased through this source are excellent, and the supplies are shipped immediately at a very reasonable price I might add. Before I close I would just like to add that video training or book training will never be a substitute for actual OJT training with a qualified Locksmith, but for those such as myself who just enjoy tinkering with mechanical devices and enjoy being self sufficient this is the next best thing. Good luck! Louis

"Key Tinkerer" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Williams Tool & Machine Corp.

Learning locksmithing from a video is kind of like learning to play basketball by reading a book. You really need hands-on experience and practice. If well-done the videos may give you an understanding of the concepts, but won't substitute for real-world experience.

Do they claim that it is accepted anywhere? I would doubt it.

Reply to
Jay Hennigan

Thanks for the info! Like you, I like to tinker, I am not making a career change and becoming locksmith.

I am thinking of buying at least two courses: Lock Rekeying and Master Keying. I assume the rekeying course focuses on different types of locks/cylinders, how the pins work, cutting a key to specific pin changes, etc. I imagine the Master Keying course focuses on the concept of the master key system, how to come up with a plan for a site, etc (not the actual keing itself). I think we have some time to spare here, so maybe I will get the rekeying and then master. I have Titans here at home, maybe I can tinker with those...

I just called the place (they are in Utah). The owner answered (Mike)

- I guess he keeps all hours... sounds like a nice guy. Anyway, He seems to think it would save the church money in the long run. $300 for all the courses, 450 for a key cutter, another hundred for the pinning block set, maybe another hundred for misc supplies (depth set blanks, blanks, etc). So ballpark $1000 and we could be doing our own masterkeying, re-keying, key copying, etc.

Like I said, I am not looking to be a locksmith serviceing the city, just enough to service our own church. This way we don't get hit for expensive charges for lockouts, rekeying, remastering, etc. We are a small church, I know we won't have money to re-do doors and locks very often (this is the first time in about 50 years!), so the farther we can (sensibly) stretch our money, the better.

Thanks to all for the various pieces of advise. For those that mentioned that you need practical experience, not just a video (basketball references, etc), I understand that. I was not imagining that I could watch a video like a movie and then I am instantly a locksmith. Of course I would put what I learned (most likely as I am learning it) to the test and in action before I considered myself taught. Of course, you don't know who I am, I could be any box of rocks with an internet connection. Thanks for the hints, just the same. :-)

Reply to
Key Tinkerer

I think you will be pleased with the course. Like you I also have rental property in which I can now rekey the locks when the tenant moves out without hiring someone else to do it. I don't plan on becoming a full time lock smith, but I must say I truly enjoy this trade. I'm glad that you've had the opportunity to talk with Mike. I think you'll find that he is there willing to help long after the course is purchased. If you have any questions down the road about a specific lock or situation he seems sincere about providing advice and he has thirty plus years experience as a Locksmith to draw from. I wish you a lot of luck, but it sounds as though you have matters well in hand.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Williams

Why do the headers from 2 different "satisfied customers " originate from the same source? ( check the properties of the messages)

If your product is so good then why would you need to Make Up testimonials?

Your deceitful tactics would lead me to believe your merchandise is total BS.

Buyer BEWARE!!!

Reply to
no spam

Both messages WERE from the same source... both were signed Louis. Where is the deceit? You spout off before you read, or think. And what do you know of the course? I highly recommend it !!!

testimonials?

Reply to
KDF

The reason there are two different headers is because I own the business. I posted one message from my shop and the other message was posted from home. I have nothing to gain by deceiving anyone. As I said from the very beginning, I can only comment on my own experience with this product. I am not the seller, only a consumer who is satisfied with the end product and just wanted to pass along some honest information. I apologize if it appeared as though I was trying to manipulate anyone into buying these videos.

Louis Williams Williams Tool & Machine Corp.

testimonials?

Reply to
Williams Tool & Machine Corp.

Just the answers I would expect from a SHILL! I don't need to see YOUR videos to make a judgement as to your honesty or intentions. (I guess I should understand that there is only 1 louis in the world and that is you!)

By your own admission you knew nothing about locks until you spent money on some Video. Now you are an Expert on Locks and Locksmithing?

You certainly act (speak, write) like a shill , Please notice not one mention of : I wish they covered xyz subject a little better. Only how great the "videos are and how you would like to buy more. So the two (or 1 of you as I believe) of you can take your videos and sell them to all the unsuspecting customers you like. I will continue to call you a shill at every oppotunity .

testimonials?

Reply to
no spam

Uhm.. I don't see 2 different customers. I see one customer (Louis Williams, Williams Tool & Whatever) who happens to be participating from two IDs (personal and business, presumably).

I've got several IDs myself -- work on several different machines, two personal IDs -- and have sometimes had more in the past. And if you look in the archives you'll see I've sometimes posted from several of 'em in fairly rapid succession as I moved from machine to machine.

You can disagree with the review; that's fine. You can personally suspect that it was a set-up exchange; that's slightly excessive paranoia but it's vaguely possible. But there's no evidence of wrongdoing.

(Advice given to pilots: "When lost, climb and confess.")

On the other hand: KDF, your headers are somewhat garbled. It might be a good idea to point that out to your ISP and get that fixed, or (if you're falsifying your headers) to fix it yourself to be less obvious.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

I don't know what "headers are somewhat garbled" exactly means. My ISP is (how should I put this?) not the best and I doubt they would listen to me. I've had too many run-ins with them. Educate me on the header stuff.

-snipped-

Reply to
KDF

I think that the problem can be summed up here:

" and in fact, it's the ones which say where to send an abuse complaint. Not that I want to send one, but the fact that they're the ones which are broken looks just a bit suspicious.

more likely to be sloppiness in your ISP's setup."

Often times ISP's will be 'sloppy' in setting up certain things as a way to deny liablity for abuse -- "can't prove it was us"

Evan

Reply to
Evan