Low profile or flush-mount deadbolts anybody?

Hi,

I'm looking for a low-profile deadbolt for my front entrance to accomodate a new storm door. The clearance between the storm door handle and my existing deadbolt is too tight -- there is only about

1/16th of an inch between the two, and I can tell that if either door is shut with any vigor the two will contact each other. I was hoping to find a "shorter" deadbolt -- one that protrudes less into the space between the entrance and storm doors -- but none of the home stores or locksmiths in town can help.

Can you recommend a specific brand, line, and/or model that I could special order or purchase online?

A single cylinder Kwikset core and a thumb knob would be best; other solutions might be acceptable too.

The arrangement of my porch and entryway precludes reversing the hinges on either the entry or storm door.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

ed

Reply to
ed_fair

IF, you can stand the looks.. look for a 'jimmy proof' the outside visible is the cylinder flush with the door almost.. all the lock/hardware is on the inside of the door, NOT IN the door itself..option 3

also look at a Schlage..see if you can find someone with some older deadbolts.. a B160 comes to mind.. the new ones are way too tall off the door.. option 2

and my FIRST choice..

also ask about a 'LORI' style deadbolt..they are thinner protrusion than a regular house type.. and you stick in a mortice cylinder in whatever keyway you need to match.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Ed

I know this is self serving but see Ebay item 6055779343.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

Thanks!

I found a Schlage BA-360 that looks like it will do the trick. I did call Schlage's customer support line, and received excellent help -- she went to the warehouse and retrieved one, and measured it for me while I was on the phone. She referred me to an online retailer that stocked the item and I ordered it, and it should be here next week.

I couldn't find any information on the older Schlage B160, nor the LORI deadbolt. Is LORI a *type* or a *brand*? Who makes them currently?

ed

snipped-for-privacy@notanywhere.net wrote:

Reply to
ed_fair

How about keeping your current lock and just insetting it by an 1/8 inch? The lock is probably designed to fit on a 2 3/8 or a 2 3/4 door. Front doors are always 2 3/4 thick. If you only have 1/16 clearance and just need a little bit more, a 1/8 inset would give you 3/16 clearance and if that is not enough then your door is so flimsy that it probably is doomed anyway.

Another idea is to unbolt the storm door frame, stack an 1/8" washer between the storm door frame and the regular door frame, caulk the gap and call it a day. If you don't want to mess with caulk you could probably get 1/8" thick rubber 1" wide and use that as a spacer. To install that the easy way would be to dismount the storm door frame and use double sticky tape to attach the rubber to the storm door frame and then just screw it back on.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

While Schlage makes many fine products the 360 is a lock I would never sell. The biggest problem with this design is the often premature failure of the casting the bolt is made from. These fail when there is just a little interferce, and they usually fail in the locked position.

It was originally a Dexter design that was purchased by Master and then sold to Schlage because they had patented a method of preventing the brass finish from tarnishing. This piece of junk is usually only found in big box places.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

B160 is an older Schlage number

ILCO bought out the Lori..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

--Shiva-- typed "ILCO bought out the Lori.."

There could possibly be an even smaller (Length) cylinder and collar to use on a LORI.

Then again, I would prefer that because I DID have LORI's in stock till a few days ago.And I've got more on the way.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Roger,

Shimming around the brickmolding would've been the best idea!

ed

Reply to
ed_fair

Goma, I'm very curious about the LORI's, do you have any model #'s? I'd like to look at Ilco's web page (kaba-ilco.com, right?).

ed

Reply to
ed_fair

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

So why not do that now? The storm door is just screwed on.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hi, have a B162 new/old stock in 626. Thats a double cylinder in satin chrome finish. Also have new parts to make up a couple of B160s in bright brass. Wayne

Reply to
wayne c

Shimming it might be alot less time and trouble depending on where you are. Whatever thickness of strip you need. Maybe some longer mounting screws. Then adjust the latch plate-done.

I am all out of the LORI's for a couple days.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Get a look at low profile:

goma865

Dammit- You can go to the KABA-ILCO site. Click on key systems. Then click on mortise cylinder deadbolts,OR on the search page type in "mortise cylinder deadbolts". It shows a pic of the low profile.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Hey Goma,

If you put these brackets at either end it won't do that. < >

Leon

goma865 wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Thanks, Everybody, for all the advice.

Goma, I see now Ilco 49xx series is the "low profile" -- it looks like it would've worked, although it doesn't specifically mention "LORI".

The Schlage arrived and fit beautifully, there is no interference for the bolt today, but I'll be watching it -- thanks Roger.

I was just too lazy to shim the storm door.

ed

Reply to
ed_fair