Materials used in tumbler lock construction

Greetings,

As a dutch student, I have an assignment concerning the production of pin tumbler locks, and this seemed like a good place to start. Part of the assigment is the production process, and for me to do this most accurately I need to know what materials are used for the production of the different parts of the pin tumbler lock (the different pins, the cilinder, etc. ) I allready found that materials like chrome, brass, and steel are used. But I haven't been able to find which parts would be usually made from what material...

Could someone give me an acurate list of materials used per part? or anything similar would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

PP

Reply to
PP

OK first the pins. All the pins are made on either a screw machine or a CNC lathe.

On the cylinders themselves several methods are used. For high volume low cost locks die casting or sintered metal are used.(example

)

For high quality the plugs are machined from bar stock and the keyways are broached.

The cylinder bodies are fabricated from bar stock or sometimes extrusions and then machined.

This is kind of a general idea, and not exclusive. Unfortunately not many locksmiths ever see the manufacturing process, so perhaps your inquiries may be more fully explored with inquiries to the manufacturers directly. I am not sure about Europe, but it is quite common for US manufacturers to grant internships to bright young scholars seeking to be the engineers of tomorrow.

Good luck.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I am sorry I did not read your question carefully. The materials most commonly used are brass or nickel silver for the pins and the material used for the machined plugs is usually brass. The plugs that are die cast are usually a zinc alloy and the sintered metal is usually a brass alloy.

The cylinder bodies can be brass, or a zinc alloy. Given the tolerances and the need for corrosion resistance these are the most common choices.

Commonly electroplating is used for finishing.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf