Removing Weiser doorknob cylinder

The plastic cylinders are OK, I have never seen a failure of that part. Weiser's weakness seems to be where the knob is attaches to the rose and the small square hole in the inside knobs.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

me too

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

you have to be weiser than the doorknob cylinder...

Reply to
Terry Maddox

I think their biggest problem was the square hole for the inner knobs. They did improve when they went to push twist like Schlage A-line, instead of push the entire knob.

Not had much trouble where the knobs atach to the rose. Except getting a little sloppy after a few years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

While it's possible Schlage was trying to answer the quick pull, I suspect the change was cause a one piece outside knob was a little cheaper to manufacture.

I thought that salt and dirt came through the keyhole, not the spring cap. I'm expecting the spring caps to start popping off, in a couple years. Tiny bit of corrosion where they hold on, with those itty bitty fingers. And then people will notice their locks not working. Worse if the key hole is bible down.

The old KW latches were a pain, having to stock four styles. But they did work fairly well. Except self closing kitchen doors, from kitchen to garage. The dead latch trigger tends to break off. And then the latch jams.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

bible down... maybe for a wd-40 drain hole...lol yeah salt through the keyhole thats a sure thing here. just don't like so many open spaces on the cylinder. caps probably going to be like the old nationals after awhile. after a few hits with the pick gun and next thing you know all the pins and springs will be rolling around the bottom of the knob.

Reply to
Roger Cann

Have you worked on one of the new Schlage? The top pins are so tiny, I wonder sometimes how they work at all. Much like the Chrysler top pins, but don't seem to be in matched sizes like Mopar.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah I worked on them alot. we have a Lowe's hardware store 10 minutes down the street. I worked there for a few years in the late 80's and have been doing lock work for them ever since. those little teeth on the pin retainer cap are pretty strong I think as long as they were never ever ever removed they might hold up.. might! hell, plastic will rust and corode around here. I don't like the new top pins like the old chrysler, they're jamming up the top pins and in turn are stopping the pins dead in there tracks. Garbage! they don't ask us! Nooooooo.. Yale did send a new rekeying kit free of charge. I can't remember if I told them or not about the problems with the new top pin design there're using. Just told them I couldn't find any of the top pins after market and whoalah, they hooked us up with two kits, one at a time, twice.

Reply to
Roger Cann

I think you have misdiagnosed the older Chrysler problem. My call on the old Chrysler locks was not a driver problem, but rather when the lock was with out lubrication accelerated wear would occur on the first pin chamber causing it to oval. The short pin would then c*ck and cause the jam.

IIRC Chrysler had no depth in the number one position deeper than a 4 and on locks pinned with a 3 or a 4 in the first position the problem seldom occurred, but when it had a 1 cut it was almost a sure thing.

As to the New style F lock drivers, These are designed to be long enough for pin lengths 3 through 9. If you will note original Schlage keys that are not part of a masterkey system never use depths 0 to 2.

Next time you have one of the plugs on the bench, drop a #3 pin in the hole and top it with an F driver. I bet you will find it is long enough.

The shoulder at the top of the driver is cut back to give the spring room to fully compress if a blank is inserted in the lock with out crushing the spring. They also use springs that do not taper so it will fit over the shoulder.

Trouble will occur if some one cheats and tries to pin these locks with a 0 depth or not using the correct driver or spring, otherwise they should be OK.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
Roger Cann

OK no problem. I didn't realize that the New Yale had the problem of spring slip. Fortunately Yale locks are not common in these parts.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

LOLOL, I got a local farm supply store (TOLD YOU I live in the sticks) that sells YALE locks, and KW keyways..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Who mentioned Yale? We're talking about Schlage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Roger Cann

I did a few post back, you must've missed that one... this is what it said btw... damn it's hard to follow the post saometimes...

Reply to
Roger Cann