Renault Laguna 1997

You have probably all heard this before but here goes....

My car is not being used at the moment due to needing a new spoiler but the Road tax is up, I have renewed my tax but can't get in to swap it out becuase I can't find my one and only key after losing the other a while ago.

I have tried a couple of things with some help from my firends to no avail. We tried the coat hanger trick pretty uselessly, we also tried inserting teh hanger into the inside of the car and trying to hook the lock but it is not possible due to teh shape of the lock the hanger just slides off.

My insurance covers me to get new key etc but has a £200 excess and a new key requires my to get the Chassis (VIN) number which is on a pillar inside the car!! plus I can't really afford a new key or the insurance excess at the mo plus the local locksmith are a rip and offer no guarantee.

So my questions if anybody feels kind enough to share there knowledge are

A) Can the coat hanger trick work with this car (Central Locking)

B) Can anybody let me know any magic tricks or just HELP!!

You can mail me if you don't want any info on the boards on snipped-for-privacy@manx.net

Thanks a lot.

Tom

Reply to
tontho

They haven't imported Renaults into the US for over a decade so I don't know anything about them. Isn't the vin. on the dashboard, visible through the windshield ("windscreen" for you).

On what do you base that statement? Have you had a past experience with them, then latter found that they charged way more that any other professional locksmith would have charged? Or was the price just more than YOU thought it should be? The latter doesn't necessarily constitute a "rip".

If you mean on a key by code, nobody does. The key is guaranteed to be cut to the code that is given. If the manufacturer's records are wrong should the locksmith be expected to eat their mistake?

If you are having a hard time finding a reputable locksmith, try contacting MLA (Master Locksmiths Assoc.) of Great Britain or ELF (European Locksmith Federation).

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Speaking only for myself, my policy is that I don't teach picking techniques unless I've personally known the person for two years.

You can find many forums on the web, but that's out of my control.

When I was new at locksmithing, I was completely fascinated by picking. Now, after 20+ years in the trade, it's an important part of the job, but not totally fascinating. There is so much more to the job.

The reasons I don't teach picking are several.

1) There is no way to know who is the person asking. Most people asking (or lurking and reading the posts) are decent people, but a few are not. So, I've decided simply not to say anything to anyone.

2) Picking locks is a "trade secret" like many other trades which have their techniques and systems.

3) A very small part of the security of locks is that so few people know how to pick them. So, by teaching lock picking, I make all locks less secure for the world. Not what I want to do.

4) Purely selfishly, I learned lock picking the hard way, with lots of practice, and you can do the same.

I wish you well. Hope this doesn't sound unkind, but the world isn't a nice place sometimes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have the nerve to post to a locksmith message group, and ask how to do a job that a paid locksmith would have done? That's pretty rude.

Do you give away free advice how to do YOUR job?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Damn-you sound like the guy who called me the other day wanting to know if he can get something open with a coat hanger.

I do not give out opening info-I did'nt get in to locksmithing to do it as a hobby or impress my friends.It's a business-and if people don't like my price-they go elsewhere-and I move on.

Just keep hitting search engines and keep looking for car opening-you will find it.some hacking sites may link up with these.

Hell, call Matt Blaze.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

We don't know it's your car. And if it is, you really don't want us telling the world how to break into 1997 Renaults.

Hire a professional. (If you hate your local locksmith, your local automotive mechanics *may* be competent and equipped to do this, or may not.)

Or continue to flail at it and risk damaging it.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

and you have NO PAPERS that have this number on it, OUTSIDE THE CAR??? no auto coverage-even an OLD policy???

ROFLMAO --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If he knows anything at all about computers, and knows anyone at all who uses Microsoft Windows, he almost certainly does. If he's (what we call in the U.S.) a general contractor, and he knows anyone with plumbing, he almost certainly does. If he's a lawyer, and he still has people who speak to him outside of work, probably not !

Reply to
Tom Rauschenbach

LOL!! This may be the best example of "Thinking outside of the box" that ever come across! Once someone says, "The VIN is on the pillar" it's too easy to translate that to "The VIN is on the pillar AND NOWHERE ELSE". Thanks Shiva, for that bit of sagacity.

Reply to
Tom Rauschenbach

You complete tool, yes I do tell people how to do my job I work in IT and give away advice all the time, it's called being nice.

I am having a cash flow problem and the only f*ing reason I need to get into the car is to put in a new tax disc.

PRICK!

Storm> You have the nerve to post to a locksmith message group, and ask how to do a

Reply to
tontho

I can't afford the £140 for a new key at the moment and even if I could, the Renault garage advised me to be exact and take the VIN off the car!! Even though they have it on their computers he said to be accurate as if they get the wrong key - hey no refund for me. The key in tighly linked with the VIN!! I just want to put my new tax disc in.

Can anybody just let me know if the coat hanger trick will work or not before I do damage!

Reply to
tontho

As a general rule, on modern cars flailing around inside the door with a slim jim or other tool is ineffective. Linkages are shielded, or are using bicycle-style cables which are resistant to that sort of attack. There may be a specific point that can be attacked, but you need to know

*exactly* where it is, and may need additional tools even to locate that point.

Attempting to do it without that precise information risks damaging a linkage (or wiring, if you've got electric locks/windows). Generally a bad idea.

Some cars with electric locks will now use those solenoids to actively fight attempts to manipulate their linkages. You pull, they pull back. Cute trick.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Or, for that matter, call your insurance broker or lender and ask them if they've still got this info in their files.

I agree, Shiva's got the perfect answer. If you don't like that one, you don't have a legitimate question.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman
<sob> now you'll killfile me. <whimper>
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have me puzzled. You only want the car opened 'right', well just bite the bullet and use your local locksmith. He will be far cheaper than getting a key made from the dealers at 140 quid. Your key could actually be inside the car. A locksmith would only charge about 30 quid or less to open the car. If you can't afford 30 quid, then borrow it, or hock something. Good luck mate.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Please post your home adress and phone. and also the brand, and key code for the locks on your doors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon