Yikes - published bitting

A major newspaper recently did an article on a public facility which has problems controlling their master keys. I'm omitting the city and paper for obvious reasons.

The only problem is that the illustrated the article - with a photograph of the key (looks like a Y1 blank), including the bitting. Unless, of course, they managed to obtain a well-worn key and stamped it with the same letter designation mentioned in the article.

Reply to
rob

The key in question is very unlikely to be a masterkey by strict definition of the term - it is a pass key, one that fits many keyed alike locks. Assuming 'Y1' refers to the traditional Yale paracentric keyway (aka E1R or

8) there is no difficulty getting keys cut and it seemed that the normal way of supplying new staff with keys was for the staff member to borrow his supervisor's key and get one made. No doubt the keys were regarded more as screwdrivers, allen keys, etc than real keys.

In simpler more peaceful times a transit operator or utility could get away with using keyed alike locks and padlocks on its facilities and giving all staff a key. For example one power utility used a shackle with a triangular head screw to secure its facilities including important sites which are now secured by access control.

The facility in question is obviously in need of a security revamp with the keys in question being relegated for restrooms, etc.

Reply to
Peter

That's not the definition (which I learned) of a pass key.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Quoted from memory, so may not be exactly right, but:

Groucho, leering at Margaret Drummond: "I'm the manager of this hotel, and I have a pass key for every room..."

Ms. Drummond: "A what?"

Groucho: "A pass key. That's Russian for pass -- you know, they passkey down the streetsky."

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

It is not in the ALOA dictionary. Seems the term has different meanings to different people. So what is a key that fits a suite of keyed alike locks called?

Reply to
Peter

If they also respond to other keys, it's a master.

If they only respond to that key, they're simply keyed alike and it's their key...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

"change key " n. 1. a key which operates only one cylinder or one group of keyed alike cylinders in a keying system,

  1. any device that is used to mechanically or electronically allow resetting of certain key or combination locks, see also "reset key" #1 "reset key" n. 1. a key used to set some types of cylinders to a new combination. Many of these cylinders require the additional use of tools and/or the new operating key to establish the new combination. 2. a key which allows the tabulations on various types of cash control equipment (e.g., cash registers) to be cleared from the records of the equipment
Reply to
Key

I was looking for a term for a key that operated a series of keyed alike cylinders especially when the cylinders are not part of a masterkey system

- perhaps there is no standard term - in which case a 'pass' key may be as good as any even though it may be a loose term for a skeleton key or masterkey.

Reply to
Peter

I still think the simplest standard terms in that case are "key" and "keyed alike".

"Change key" is certainly not inappropriate even if it's overspecific. it implies, but does not require, the presence of an organized key system behind it.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

I contacted tha uthor of that article, and he responsed with puzzlement that someone could make a key from a photo.

I convinced him by emailing him a link to an article about the locksmith who code-cut a key based on an aray of a man who had swallowed his truck key.

Reply to
rob

Why not convince him by emailing him a key that worked for the town?

Though, the copy of the "swollowed the key" sounds like a great convincer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon