S&G 66xx/67xx Lock Combo Changed over Time / Use?

Hi All.

(This is my first posting to this group).

About a year ago I received a 10cu ft safe free for the taking -- I had a locksmith set the combination (let's call it A,B,C) on the S&G lock to that of another safe of mine, which also has an essentially identical S&G combination lock on it.

Over time, this first safe has become increasingly hard to open -- i.e. the combination seems to "work" only occasionally. Finally, it got so bad that I decided to try some permutations around the A,B,C that was originally set. Lo and behold, it now opens perfectly when I use A,B-1,C.

After opening the safe I opened up the lock cover, peered in, and can clearly see that if I use A,B,C the "fall-in gap" (sorry, I don't know the technical term) on the wheels is barely adequate for the lock to open. With the A,B-1,C combo, all three wheel gaps are properly aligned and the lock opens every time.

My question is: Did the locksmith set the safe improperly to begin with, or is it not unheard of that the combination might "drift" over time and use?

Thanks,

--Andrew (please reply to newsgroup only)

Reply to
aekalman

lack of 'maintenance'... meaning cleaning, re lubing, and adjusting will fix you up. DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF...call a safe man, and LEAVE IT OPEN, till its fixed...

(WD 40 is NOT a 'good' safe lock lube, and neither is 2 gallons of floor wax stripper)

I just replaced a very nice La Guard 3332 lock on a gun safe., date on safe said second quarter of 97 was the manu date...so this was 6 years old...

the lock had a VERY nice pile of metal shavings in the bottom of it... had 2 problems IMO... a P*** poor design and a VERY P&&& poor use for THAT lock... called the factory- OH, we dont use THAT lock any more- I can see why...

replaced it with a new S&G 6730, and customer is happy...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yes indeed the numbers can certainly "drift" as you called it. We call it "slipping". Your problem may be that there was poor lubrication inside the lock. There are tiny teeth inside each tumbler on a keychangeable combination lock. If there has been any pressure put on the inner wheel of the tumbler it can "jump" or wear down a tooth and cause the number to slip. I have seen it where the last number is off by 5 whole numbers! So don't worry. Just as someone previously said. Have a safe tech come out and take a look at it and reset the combo to perhaps a different number. See if the guy can clean it up and lubricate it the right way.

I just got done posting a thread in Dan's

about proper combination lock lubrication. Any lockies here should really check it out.

Reply to
Staraflur

Thanks, Staraflur, for the response.

I downloaded and read S&G's info on the care and feeding of these combo locks, and am now a little better informed than when I started ... :)

Regards,

--Andrew

Reply to
aekalman

Got a change key, and have now "restored" the lock to its former / proper setting. It'll be interesting to see if it stays put this time ...

--Andrew

Reply to
aekalman

if its certain models, there is a 'drag adjustment' in there, to keep a wheel pack from 'moving slightly.... PERSONALLY, never had a gear tooth/key change wheel move a number without OS interference, BUT, have seen them drag a bit... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

There is a reason that the #2 wheel moved a # off and it is not because it jumped teeth like many people blame it on. Usually it is fly wear or dirt. I hope your home remedy doesn't cause you problem in the future.

Reply to
todd

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

You are well advised to have the lock checked out by a pro before a lockout occurs.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere