SB1252 Locksmithing In Texas Information Request

Has anyone new knowledge of the requirements relating to the new law signed by Governer Perry (

regulating the locksmithing industry in Texas that requires Department of Public Saftey registration before September 1 2004 for all locksmiths, other than what I've read on the TLA and GHLA websites that concern the class B requirements under the latest Ocupational Code under Sec. 1702.2225 passed by the 78th congress, (locksmithing not involving electronic locks or computers) verses the class A, (requirements for alarm systems and electronic locks)?

What is required and could someone PDF or otherwise send me a file to snipped-for-privacy@att.net with the information that I can send to the DPS to keep up with the new requirements.

I heard on the H.L. Flake site this issue will be discussed at the Spaghetti Warehouse. I can't make it to the GHLA ( Greater Houston Locksmith Assocation) wing ding downtown in a few days, I already have plans.

Will price be regulated like the cab industry for service calls? Is it to early to tell what will happen due to the DPS streamlining the duties of the office staff and officers involved with those of the drivers license department and those that work on hand gun permits?

Thanks Glen

Reply to
Glen Cooper

All the information we have gathered so far is posted here -

along with links so you can research and keep updated.

The new TBPS or TPSB is having a meeting in Austin this December. TLA (and local associations) will have representatives there. As far as we know, they are still working on writing the rules and regulations and then will have hearings with interested parties/industry leaders to discuss them. Keep in mind they have a lot of work to do.

Cliff Grumbles (Exec. Director) will be attending the GHLA Banquet, January

  1. He says he will have registration packets to hand out. Packets will also be available on the TBPS (TCPS/DPS) website when it's all worked out. Mr. Grumbles will also be attending the TLA Convention in Galveston next February.

FYI: The law (SB1252) calls for Registration of anyone holding themselves out to the public as a locksmith and requires a criminal background check and proof of insurance. That's it. It's not a license. The other part of the law which affects us is Licensing of access control installers with the background check, proof of insurance, testing and continuing education. The date is set for September 1, 2004, but the study committee expects only 50% to comply in the first year which probably indicates they won't be enforcing it to a great extent immediately.

Kevin D. Farrell, CRL GHLA, TLA Editor / Webmaster (contact info on websites -

and

KDF

Thanks again Kevin. That about answers all the questions I had.

Have a good day

keep

Reply to
Glen Cooper