Deadbolt disassembly

I'm a newbie, trying to make a practice setup with a newly purchased kwikset maximum security deadbolt lock. How can I take apart the lock core to remove the pins ? There are no screws on the back, the only option I see would be to pry off the thin metal finishing on the front. Is there a better way ?

Reply to
lowtec

lowtec,

I'm not familiar with the Maximum Security version but most of them have a metal cover over the pin holes that you can remove to get the pins & springs out. If you want the key to work in it again you have to keep the upper and lower pins in each hole together and in the right order... You shouldn't have to remove the core.

Leon Rowell

lowtec wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Thanks, I see the thin strip of metal you're referring to and I can just pry it off to get access to the pins. Is this how a lock would be rekeyed? Also how would I reattach the metal strip?

One last question.. When would the core of a lock need to be removed and how do do those core-pulling tools work? Thanks for your help!

Reply to
lowtec

If you get one end of the metal strip started you should be able to slide it out without doing any damage to the crimp.(use pliers to pull the strip out & do it with the key out) Then when you get ready to put it back in you can put a little bow in the strip lengthwise, set it back into the slot and tap it down with a small hammer. With this type of cylinder I would suspect a locksmith would remove the core to repin it but as I said I am not familiar with that particular lock so I can't tell you how to go about that. On the older ones there was a "C" clip on the back that held the lock cylinder core in. You had to remove the "C" clip, remove the tailpiece, put the key into the cylinder, and use a following tool to remove the cylinder. This procedure leaves the top pins & springs in and I don't think that is what you want to do. A core pulling tool will not help you on this lock.

Leon Rowell

lowtec wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

You can take the cover off of the pin stacks but the better way is to use a plug follower and simply remove the plug and lower pins leaving the upper pins and springs in their wells. If you take off the cover use tape over the stacks to dump one at a time, an ice cube tray would work well.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

The core pullers are not applicable to the deadbolt, just the key in knob.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

If you aren't careful, when you remove the spring cover (bible) you will have a good chance of losing the springs. The cover isn't very strong and it's easy to tweak it out of shape so it won't be secure when you put it back on.

As far as I'm concerned, removing the core with a follower to get at the pins is the best option, using a key, pick or shim to turn it after removing the E or C clip at the non keyway end.

If you must remove the spring cover, use the smallest flat screwdriver you can find and gently pry both sides while holding a finger over the cover to avoid launching the cover and springs. It should pop out of the retaining grooves.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

A 7 day plastic pill box works good too.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

From his original post I think he wanted to remove all of the pins & springs and put them back one hole at a time to practice picking. While it is possible to put them back through the plug hole working with tweezers and a plug follower to me it would be much easier for him to just remove the cover.....

Leon Rowell

Putyourspamhere wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

If that's what he's doing, agreed it's way easier to remove the cover.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere