Couplings information request

My nephew got a Life Like HO scale beginner's set for Christmas. For his birthday, he'd like to add to his rolling stock, and maybe get another locomotive. Will the Life Like couplings work with most other HO scale trains?

Thank You

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

"Don Harstad" wrote in news:fp0oj9$oep$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net:

There's an excellent chance that they will. A Life-like set probably came with horn-hook couplers, which was (unfortunately) the industry standard. There is a chance that it came with knuckle couplers, though. Some sets have knuckle couplers now. (Bachmann's EasyDCC set is the only one I've seen thus far.)

Telling the difference is easy. Knuckle couplers are smaller and have a "air hose" that extends down from the back of the knuckle. They're similiar to real trains. Horn hook couplers have a book hook integrated in to the top, and a trip pin on the bottom. They're often black plastic, while the knuckle couplers are often either metal or a brown. (That's is just a guideline. It may not always be true.)

If you're still worried, go for Athearn "blue box" kits. They take about

5 minutes each to assemble, and have cast coupler boxes on the underframe that easily accept either type. In fact, some come with both types.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Don, What he said.

To help illustrate, here's a photo of a horn-hook coupler:

And here's an illustration of a knuckle coupler:

Most "experienced" HO scale modelers use some form of knuckle couplers. However, someone in your nephew's situation, or someone converting from one style to another, often has a transition car with one style on each end. That way, the conversion doesn't have to be all or nothing, all at once.

HTH, Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

Thank you all. He seems to have horn hook. We'll see to it that he's properly equipped!

Don H.

PS: Of course, we could always get him a new engine... and then a new... Uh, oh! Buildings are in my future, and my sister-in-law is going to buy a shotgun.

Reply to
Don Harstad

"Don Harstad" wrote

Scale is important. A 20 gauge is about right for HO.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

David Starr wrote in news:47b49de0$0$1097$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

*snip*

*snip*

I've got a dozen or so horn hook couplers for the asking. I doubt it'd cost more than $.75 to ship. (They're a bulky item, so the post office might charge more.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper