Broadway locos

Does this brand make quality HO locomotives? Nephew again, and he needs (Okay, I THINK he needs) another diesel locomotive. Just shopping around. And while we're at it, can anyone tell me who makes the best locomotives in this scale? Without sound.

Thank you,

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Broadway locos are good. I have a Hudson, test run only, and am satisfied.

The best HO diesel locos IMO are Kato, closely followed by Atlas and Lifelike Proto2000/1000. All have soundless locos available, but you'd better hurry, as more and more releases now include sound. This has come about because sound modules compatible with DC operation have been invented.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.

BLI makes (or will make) the following diesels:

BLI - ALCO RSD-15, HO BLI - EMD E7, HO BLI - EMD E8/9, HO BLI - EMD F7, HO BLI - EMD SD40-2 HH, HO BLI - EMD Switchers SW7/NW2, HO BLI - GE AC6000, HO BLI - GE C30-7, HO PCM - ALCO FA/FB, HO PCM - ALCO PA/PB, HO PCM - Baldwin Sharknose, HO PCM - EMD F3, HO PCM - EMD SD7, HO PCM - EMD SW1500, HO

They are all quality models other than the SD40-2 (a good runner, but crude in appearance). All of them, in my experience, run very well...about on par with Atlas. They are, however, more expensive than just about anyone else because they all have sound. If sound is important, then they are great. If sound isn't, then you might as well buy some Atlas or Kato or Athearn Genesis or Athearn RTR or Proto 2000 or Proto 1000...and save a lot of money (figure at least $100 more for sound).

In HO scale, Atlas is the best overall. Kato still has a better drive, but the lack of models, production levels, and paint problems knocks off a few points. Atlas, OTOH, has a wide selection of models, they all run great, they offer road specific details on certain locos, the paint is usually perfect, and they can be had for less than Kato. Atlas is the best "bang for the buck" in quality models. BTW, Atlas Gold is with sound, everything else is without. Athearn Genesis has some kits and misses. The F-units are the finest F-units ever made in any medium or scale, but the early Genesis steam engines had cracked gears and other issues. I would stay away from Genesis sound as it's by MRC...which is not good. Athearn RTR is an okay drive under a good shell. A compromise of detail over drive quality at a reasonable price. They will run well, but they aren't as smooth nor as quiet (no sound available). Proto 2000 from Walthers is a quality product, with great paint and road specific details. However, they also have a cracking gear problem (free replacements from Walthers, but still...) on some models. Overall drive quality varies quite a bit with P2K, but the shells are usually excellent. Some have sound, but most do not. Proto 1000 has a good drive (some noisy, some very smooth) but with far less detail than P2K. No sound is available for P1K.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

I LOVE my EMD F7s... they look great and run beautifully.

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Best if purely subjective, to say the least.

The best detail on diesels today comes from Athearn Genesis, without a doubt. NO ONE is even close. The best paint sure is NOT on any Kato diesel, again, not even close. That would have to go to P2K or the new Athearn stuff. Their paint jobs are simply outstanding.

Runn>> Does this brand make quality HO locomotives? Nephew again, and he needs

Reply to
Denis F. Blake

"Denis F. Blake" wrote

Urm, shouldn't there be a "IMO" or an "IMHO" in there somewhere?

Reply to
P. Roehling

On 3/3/2008 6:09 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

What're you, some kind of Usenet librarian or something? It's implied.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No it's not - you're making statements presented as facts. We can infer that you are posting opinions, but that's not the same thing.

Almost every model is released at a different date, so some are recent releases, some are old. Kato's series of USA models have been around longer (on average) with Proto 2000 in second place. If you compare the latest Kato with an older P2000 or an early release Athearn Genesis the result is probably different. Compare an old Athearn with an early Kato of the same era and the Kato wins hands down.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

This is the quoted text that you omitted. Was that done on purpose?

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I guess it was Denis' SHOUTING that fooled me...

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Frank A. Rosenbaum" wrote

Reply to
P. Roehling

On 3/3/2008 9:01 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

So you *are* a Usenet librarian, a schoolmarm; you want to chastise him for breaking some kind of rule against "shouting"??? Sheesh. Sorry he offended your sensibilities.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Sorry in return that you never heard of manners, either posting or otherwise.

Shrug.

Reply to
P. Roehling

On 3/3/2008 10:53 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

I have heard of them, yes, but I certainly don't expect others to necessarily use them, unlike some net-nannies. Consider the neighborhood.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

They don't make this model YET...or atleast they don't SELL it yet! It's been listed as soon to be available for way over a year and a half, and it has yet to show up...i wonder if it ever will.

also you told this person they only make sound models, which is wrong...they offer non-sound as well.

Reply to
bladeslinger

I did mean is....not if...

DB

Reply to
Denis F. Blake

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Well, you're part of it.

And while you're digesting that, ask yourself why something is bad if I do it, but fine when you do the same thing?

On second thought, never mind.

Reply to
P. Roehling

Hey, while we're on this subject, whatever happened to those fu*kwads M. Newton and Terry whatshisname? And Grek P. has also been keeping low profile.

Not that I miss them but I wonder if they expired or are just lurking around. It's nice without them until arguiments like this flare up. You guys have too much testostorone!

This is all about toy trains - remember? :-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

On 3/5/2008 9:26 PM Peter W. spake thus:

Not me, I hope; stuff makes your hair fall out.

Oh, yeah, that's right: I want more cars behind my choo-choo! (More realistic ones, too.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"Denis F. Blake" wrote

Thank you for clearing that up.

Understand that nobodies' mad at you: it was just hard to figure out exactly what you meant.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling