Training advice sought

I work for a realtor and would like to become more useful around the office and in the field. There are a few skills I have seen others do and would like to learn how to do them, but am not quite sure on what how to ask - I lack the terminology in many cases.

First, the obvious, picking door knobs and deadbolts. There actually isn't much of a need for me to do this, but it is related - and I (not knowing much about it) view it as kind of an interesting mechanical puzzle. I'm not sure if anybody else thinks of it in the same way, picking locks not to open the door, but just to be able to pick the locks, but I digress.

On many of the houses we deal with we have to have the locks changed - gaining access from the people moving out. I've watched a guy rekey a lock by popping out the cylinder and putting what looked like brass pins back inside, pulling them out of a case that organized each pin by a different digit. Then, to make the key, he had what looked like a fancy hole punch where he would press down a lever and a chunk of the key blank would be knocked out.

What are these tools and skills called? The guy was knocking out spare keys for the locks at the rate of one every 60 seconds or so, seemingly even faster than what the machines at the local hardware store can do. Why don't more people duplicate keys like this? If I am given one key can I make a duplicate on site with one of these punch thingies?

Could somebody please tell me which skills I am talking about and where I can get more information on these skills?

Thank you

Reply to
Privacy, please

around the office

others do and would

what how to ask - I

There actually isn't

I (not knowing

mechanical puzzle. I'm not

locks not to open

digress.

locks changed -

guy rekey a lock

brass pins back

by a different

fancy hole punch

blank would be

knocking out spare keys

seemingly even

can do. Why don't

key can I make a

about and where I

he was repining the lock using a pinning kit and cutting the key with a key punch. the key punch cost around $600 to $700. training, not sure of the cost these days. refer to the FAQ for more info

g'day

Reply to
"Key

There are several hand-held key making machines. Some call them punches, other call them clippers. They are popular with locksmiths because they can cut keys on-site. They are not popular with hardware stores and such because they tend to require a variety of accessories to be able to use them with different locks. As an example, the Curtis Clipper (a brand) has dozens of accessories required just to do all the american cars.

Buying all the accessories is quite an investment. It does work out well if all you work on is one brand and style of lock. I've read of hotels using punches to make new keys.

A great way to learn about this field is to start with the FAQ and then just read the whole history of the newsgroup on Google. After the first hundred or so posts you'll find that you start picking up the terms. After the first thousand, you'll be familiar with the concepts and be able to read between the lines. Somewhere along the line you'll either start picking up tools and locks or will get bored and move on.

Good luck,

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

You can find a ton of information (some good some not) by Google searching this group on "lock picking".

A punch machine.

The guy was knocking out spare keys

Many people do use them, but they are typically more specialized than cutting machines, you can only do a limited number of manufacturers on them. Most of the people who use them do a lot of work with the same brand(s) over and over.

Yes, but not directly like with a copy machine.

Picking, rekeying (repinning), and making keys (cutting, punching keys). Try google searching this group on those subjects. Or try the FAQ's.

At one time there were a few differences between versions, don't know if that's still true or not.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere